News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

390/352 motors

Started by Wirenut, 2012-12-12 09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

I have a friend that is cleaning out his shop and is offering me a 390 and a 352 complete with brackets and all. The 390 has set for at least 5 years and he is not sure about the 352. He indicated the 390 was in a galaxy and was driven to the shop and the car was parted out but he kept the motors to use in a future project that has not happened. He is wanting me to make an offer on them and I am interested but do not have a need tight now, but think I should not pass on them should I have a chance to use one of them down the road. I called a local rebuilder and he suggested I offer just above scrap value. Any suggestions from anymembers that have bought or sold these. Should I pass or are they worth hanging on to. I ended up installing a modern 302 in my 57 and have it running so I do not have an immediate need... Thanks for any input or suggestions..

2x57sedan

grab the 390 for sure the 352 is nice also  a good used 390 goes for @300.00 the 352 should pull 150-200

i would not let them get scrapped they arent making new ones
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

JimNolan

I've spent the last 15 years playing with FE blocks. They are expensive to rebuild but are bullit proof when torque and reliability are concerned. Take a look at the front of the motor and see if the drivers side has the letters 352 on it. If it doesn't, there's a good chance you would have a heavy block. What I mean is there's a lot of meat in the cylinder walls. When you're machinest has to wait for the engine to cool between honing strokes, you know you're in trouble. He'll be able to let you know if it's a good build. I'm building a 410ci/375hp engine out of a really nice 352 block. The blocks cast in 1962 or the inverted 105 blocks that came in later 360 trucks are probably the best. The 1962 for heavy blocks and the 360 trucks for stronger main webs and nickel content. Remember, it's going to take more money to build up an FE for performance but you get what you pay for. I'd offer him $100 for both engines. And then only if you had space to store them. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

Actually, they are!  Checkout http://www.doveengineparts.com/index.html

They have many of the actual FORD molds and are casting new 352-428 blocks, heads and intakes.  So you always wanted a SOHC, they make 'em.  Just call them and they will send you a crate.

I had a policy to save every carbureted V8 that came my way.  After storing near 100 engines for the past 20 years it became evident that I may have been batting at one too many windmills.  Just last week, the last FE ,a '390', C6...carb to pan with brackets, water pump, power steering pump and pulleys, went down the road for a whopping $20.  I did much better on the 428s, especially the CJ.

As far as 460 stuff, with 22 of them setting around, I refuse to go get them for free.  I have nearly every example of 460 in a variety of conditions.  I think I can even put together a 429CJ.

It is kinda like 57s.  If you need a part, they're rare.  If you have two parts, they are plentiful.

JimNolan

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-12-12 18:28
It is kinda like 57s.  If you need a part, they're rare.  If you have two parts, they are plentiful.

Amen,
   I'm getting ready to order the Edelbrock heads and I sold a new set of adustable rockers for a song last year. Said, I'd never use them anyway. Go figure. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Wirenut

Jim your price suggestion was exactly the price the motor shop recommended. I appreciate your input and suggestions gentlemen. It really helps me in my decision and offer... GREAT 57 CLUB SITE..Great People...Thanks

Limey57

If you do get either of them remove the plugs & fill the bores with diesel or parafin.  It will help to unsieze and rings that have froze to the bore & help prevent corrosion.
Gary

1957 Ranchero