News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

opinion..8.8 Explorer rear end?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-21 10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Alot of guys on another site were discusing using an Explorer 8.8 because of their ruggedness, and the fact they are set up already with disc brakes and trac-loc. I'm aware our '57's of course have one of the most desirable rear ends ever, but I'm wondering if the Explorer's features wouldn't make it a more economical swap without giving up anything the '57 offers, compared to adding disc brakes and tracloc, axels, etc. I understand the Explorer can be reworked to center the pumpkin, using 2 right side axels, and shortening the left side housing. I'm not sure of the spring perches.
Also, I'm wondering how well the 3.73 Explorer gear ratio would work with a 4r70w Auto tranny (w/ overdrive) as compared to the 3.50's I was recommended.
Any opinions appreciated.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

8.8s are from later models making them more available and more familiar to current buyers and mechanics.  They are lighter and are less parasitic (power robbing).  Most are wider.  A late model Mustang 8.8 is wider than your requirements.  If you narrow one,  you can add 9" style ends to correct the C clip issue.  I have a 8.8 from a '98 Mustang GT with 3.27 gears and Traction Loc, disc brakes, working calipers, good pads, and complete parking brake cables on CraigsList for $150.00.  If that was a 9" with the same features, they would be lined up down the road with cash in hand.  Does that tell you anything.  8.8s are cheap but can be modified to your needs with limited aftermarket options.  I'm sure it would fit your requirements.  But who brags about having a 8.8?  If the 8.8 I have doesn't sell and I have an order for a 9" with disc brakes, I'll salvage the brakes off the 8.8 and scrap the rest.  Are Explorer wheels 4 bolt?

PS:  your old 9" will still bring $250-300!!

RICH MUISE

Sounds like I should just stay with the 9"...I had forgotten about the c-clip issue, and it was just a thought...and by the time I get thru redoing everything to suit my needs, I might as well do it to the original.
LOL...I guess I was looking for the "it'll be perfect, and a bolt in with no mods needed as well"...the only time I hear those comments are when it's too late, so thought I'd ask.

gasman826

There are several re-manufacturers out there (eBay) that recondition 9" pigs using good used parts to make a reasonable upgrade to a 3.50 gear w/TractionLoc with 28 spline axles for $500-800.  My version 1.0 '57 had rear drums.  I used a larger wheel cylinder and good components with the Granada conversion on the front.  No road race machine but a very good driver.  Version 2.0 has an overkill 9" with Strange 31 spline axles, narrowed with big bearing ends, SVO disc kit, Lokar parking brake cables, triangular 4 link, back braced, air bagged, nodular pig with Daytona support, Detroit Locker, shimmed pinion, and 1350 u-joints.

RICH MUISE

very impressive work Gary. Do you have a target date for completion...we know you got the body painted.

Frankenstein57

Correction Gary, that's a serious driver! :burnout: :icon_bigsmurf: :icon_bigsmurf: :icon_bigsmurf:

gasman826

Still wet sanding and buffing.  Don't much use a calendar or a watch.  My build schedule is regulated by how soon I hit the lint in the bottom of my pocket.