News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

sun visors

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-19 20:44

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

OK....here's how to adapt a good ol' made in the USA 80's something Cadilac sunvisor to your good ol' even better made in the USA '57 Ford... I just finished recovering and redying the passenger side visor. I had these almost done last year, and then tucked them away. I changed the headliner fabric I used, so recovered these to match. I've got pics somewhere of the cutting and joining of these, but basically it's a matter of joining the hollow tube rod on the Caddy visor to the solid, cut off '57 visor bracket. The tube in the Caddy is just a tad small, so it'll have to be reamed out to slide over the Ford bracket. weld, a little grinding, and they're done. On the Caddies, the wires for makeup/map lights runs thru the tubing...I'll have to route them outside and neaten them up a little. After I get my windshield installed, I'll be able to figure something out for the support rod on the opposite end. I figure the map lights will come in handy...and make the wife happy also...gotsta have that mirror!
They are an easy recover, btw, look at the "seam" in the 3rd pic...the material just tucks in for a neat glue-on intallation with no sewing. The size of these is very close to the '57 original visors.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

my business coupe came with only driver side visor am sure I'll catch hell for that in the future.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Mine also only came with one...pulled a second passenger side one off a wagon in Calhan, Co.
LOL...spent a while poking around the passenger side upper corner trying to locate the 3 holes for it under the new headliner... finally gave up, not wanting to do too much damage to the new material. I just realized after reading your post that the reason I couldn't find them was that they are not there.

57dohc

Rich,
I can't help but comment on your post after mentioning "Calhan Colo.".  I am assuming this was at the Webb and Company wrecking yard.  I live north of Colorado Springs (Black Forest) and have been roaming that yard for 25 years! Dave Webb was a customer of mine in a former banking career and always took special care of me.  He has some special cars tucked away in sheds on the property that he doesn't consider selling.  He did, however, let me buy a 57 skyliner from him about 10 years ago.  While intentions were good to restore it, I did ultimately resell to concentrate on the Custom 300.  I had previously done 2 retracts and they are such a big car to do body work on!
Anyway, I haven't been out to that yard for a year or two but it is still there and Dave Webb is as eccentric as ever.  The 57s are really picked over but still there as well.

RICH MUISE

Yep..Webb and Co. I try to hit that yard once a year...love walking around the old yards. I spent 23 years in Colorado Springs in the art gallery/custom picture framing business. Last 12 years Connie and I lived in Upper Skyway...sure do miss the deer in our yard everyday! The last year we were there I counted 28 in my fenced in back yard one afternoon. I wouldn't mind having either of the two cars Webb has in his sales area...although can't remember exactly what they were at the moment, but it seems like there was a '38ish and a 61 or 63 Galaxie.The last two times I was there I didn't go into the sales area because the guys were outside.
I also try to hit the Socal speed shop when I'm in the Springs...lot of good project cars for sale there also.
I'll probably be in the Springs about Feb. for the Tri-State swap meet in Denver..sure like to see your build while I'm there...Gotta stop in and see how Jon (Hogwagon)'s build is coming along also.
I can't remember if you were the one looking for a '57 Z-bar a while back and I suggested Webb's or checking with Jon??

57dohc

I guess it is a small world.  I usually don't miss the Tri-state swap meet as the normal challenge is trying to find anything that would fit a 57 ford.  Most are chevy parts as you know!
It would be nice to meet someone on this forumn.  If you need a ride up, I'm sure I will be going. 
I know the guys at Socal well; Mike (the owner) deals in a lot of cars but has always liked 57 fords and at least shows interest in them. Al

RICH MUISE

I assumed you knew I now live in Texas, but if you still want to give me a ride up there that'd be cool LOL
I have a few pics of Webb's cars in the boneyard section of the gallery. I gotta get busy and update that salvage yard info also..add Owens Salvage and DVAP.
Love that Black Forest area btw...kinda reminds me of back home in New England.
another btw,You mentioned retracts were such a big car to do body work on. If you restored 2 I'm sure you know that despite that loooong trunk, they are dimentionaly the same as any other fairlane. They just have  shorter roof.