News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

dash bulbs

Started by oldgasser, 2013-02-12 20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Could anyone tell me the type or # of the dash instrument bulb or bulbs in the 57 dash assembly & the location of the bulbs if there is more than one kind.
Than You.
Ron.

57 Ford Kustom

My bulbs in the instrument area are 1445 bulbs, the ones in the heater control, clock,and ignition area are also 1445 bulbs, but the glass is just bigger.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

clusterbuster

The instrument light bulbs are #57. There are 2, one on each side. The sockets plug into the back of the speedometer face, one on each side. Both of those lights illuminate the speedometer, fuel and temp gauges. I believe the wires are blue and red leading to the sockets. The heater control panel also has a #57 bulb that lights it up. You have to drop the air vent to get at that bulb. There are two screws that are easy to get at to drop the vent.

57 Ford Kustom

Cluster,
   Really? I have my harness out, and every bulb is marked 1445!

gasman826

If I remember correctly there was a reason that you have your harness out?  Something about not being able to figure it out.  I think you just figured something out.  I'm not sure that bulb number was invented in 1957.  The number 57 bulb was common in almost everything for dash illumination in the '50s and '60s.  By late '60s, the push in (#1994 or something like that) all glass bulbs were introduced.  Ford has used the blue with red stripe colored wire for dash illumination for more that 50 years including trucks.

57 Ford Kustom

Gasman,
   I have the harness out because I am repainting the interior metal. Yes it is true my wiring was a mess, but the instrument panel is all original. But, it has been around since 57' and the old saying is "to many cooks ruin the soup". Lol :003:! I apologize if I led anyone astray, it was not my intention.