News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Started by Fairlane62, 2019-04-06 23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Who told you that's not pretty??? 
     In the old days I would  fix a spot and put some primer on it, then later, fix another spot. We didn't have garages and just worked on our cars on the streets of Boston.  That's the way I always drove my cars and that's exactly what they looked like.  To me your picture is a huge flashback.   Most of us didn't have $100.00  to get an Earl Sheib paint job.  At least I think that's what it cost. 
      Rich are you are reading this?  Back then, do you remember a 58 Ford that looked exactly like this when we were making the rounds at the drive ins?  If so , that was me.  WOW!!!
Jay

gasman826

"I'm Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car, any color for $89.95. No ups, no extras."  1908-1992

There are still shops with the Earl Scheib name on them!

Swank

Haa, ...Earl Scheib.   I worked there in Gainesville, FL around 89-90.  It was $99.95 by then, at least for our shop.  I was just a "masker", but could tape the mess out of some side trim and turn signals.   They did let me paint my own 66 VW though.  I went and bought some "good" paint and shot it myself. Cost 30 bucks.  Came out real nice, ...at least to me.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Ecode70D

Gary and Swank I sure am glad that  you guys remember Earl Sheib paint jobs.  Now I'm certain that it is not my imagination.
     James please pardon me for hijacking your thread.  Enjoy that nice car.
Jay

Fairlane62

I remember the Earl Shieb commercials but couldn't afford it at the time.  I painted most of my cars with surplus oilfield equipment enamel.  A lot of blues. reds, and greens, but it was shiny.  Also drove a lot with red oxide primer.

My first 58 was shiny black, but of course it was only 9 years old at the time.  I had a y-block with ported ECZ-G heads, cam, etc., and 3 on the floor.

hiball3985

I remember in the early 60's when the Earl would paint any car with "Diamond Gloss" paint for 29.95,
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I had my Fairlane painted in'67 by "Facto-Bake". It cost $100, color change, inside door jambs painted, and a little body work. The paint actually was pretty decent, the body work...not so much. We didn't have Earl here.
Lynn

Fairlane62

The 58 currently has a C4, but still has the clutch pedal from the original manual 3 speed.  Once I get the 54 finished I may change transmissions in the 58.

I have one of the overdrive top loader 4 speeds that I could go back to manual with overdive, but I also have a 4R70W that would give me automatic overdrive, or i could just stay with the C4 which works fine.

Opinions?

Tom S

Quote from: Fairlane62 on 2019-04-15 21:15
... I may change transmissions in the 58.
Opinions?

My opinion?  Automatics suck! The the overdrive top loader 4 speed sounds perfect.

hiball3985

Thats like asking what color socks should I wear today, everyone will have a different opinion  :003:

I would go with the manual OD. But automatics are great if you have a broken leg  :burnout:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

I love a Manual car....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

Manual for me too! The overdrive toploaders are not as beefy as the 4 speeds though. Depends on your plans...
Lynn

Fairlane62

Yeah, this could end up like a "what's the best oil" question. :deadhorse:

I am leaning toward the manual OD as well.  I have a top loader four speed in my 62 Fairlane and enjoy it.  I could also put in a 3 speed top loader and rig up 3 on the tree but then I wouldn't have overdrive.

Thanks,
James

thomasso

Or you could use a 3 speed with  overdrive.  T86 with R10 overdrive or HD T85 with R11 OD.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.