News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

winter

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2013-02-27 15:13

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i don't know about the rest of u,  but i'm getting antsie,  got a deposit on the 51 ford,  just waiting to finalize the deal,   gives me more room in the garage,  i can move stuff around.    its snowing here right now, snowed last nite, melted in the morning.    tired of this weather,  what a pain,  wifes saying i'm  sittng  around to much,  and then when the weather does break there'll be so much to do,     PS,  have to add something,   with all this room i'll be alble to take the conv back seat out and spray the inside of the wheels wells,  i was thinkinbg of using Por15, deluting it,  and using a dandaline bottle spray with the long nozzel to get into the hard spots,  any comments?,   jerry

Frankenstein57

Jerry, there are a bunch of new products for rust prevention in hard to reach areas. Many are called body cavity wax, and come with spray wands and nozels. I don't have expierence with them, I did receive an email from kbs coatings for this. Try there website. Mark

RICH MUISE

As always, I've gotta put my 3 cents in (inflation)...I honestly don't know if the por-15 will do it's magic if it's diluted. I believe they tell you not to dilute it. I had used some por-15 solvent, but only to bring it back to it's original viscosity aftet it had thickened. If I were doing it I'd just get a long handled brush and make sure I got enough down in there to flow to where I couldn't reach. One not of caution if you do that though...check on your outside seams at the wheelwells for any dripage coming thru. That would be a good thing..telling you you got enough in there so it's penetrating the lapped joints....but you want to clean up the excess flowing out with laquer thinner before it dries. Of course make sure the laquer thinner isn't going to damage your paint.

The wax stuff Mark talked about is great for cars that have just been painted, but not assembled. It would make a huge mess in an open area like your talking about....at least with the spray tool like I borrowed from Pat Fleischman. It's primarily used for getting into door posts, rockers, roof structures, frames ect.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

I know what you are saying, Jerry. I'm watching another 10" of snow dump on us here in Vermont. I wish I was out rattling windows in the 57' rather than shoveling snow :burnout:!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Tom S

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2013-02-27 15:13... snowed last nite, melted in the morning.
This crap won't go away until mid to late April, or sometimes even early May.   :'(   

lowrider

That's exactly why I moved from Mi to Az last spring. Got tired of the cold, the snow & winter dragging on into late April. Going to Yuma this weekend for a 3 car show. Gonna be sunny & 85.

hiball3985

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-02-28 03:55
This crap won't go away until mid to late April, or sometimes even early May.   :'(   
I'm sure there must be some logical reason why people live there but I don't know what it is.. I need thermals if it gets below 50  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

This car wants to be let into the shop for a makeover

Ford Blue blood

I am in AL for that reason as well.  After 30 years of living south of the Mason Dixon line neither the wife nor I wanted to go back north to WI and get used to the winters.  We were already used to the family seperation thing, our kids are scattered all over the place (VA, TX and CO).  Add to that the tax base in WI really sucks, both property and income and the cost of living is lower here in AL so for us it was a no-brainer.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Quote from: lowrider on 2013-02-28 06:19
That's exactly why I moved from Mi to Az last spring. Got tired of the cold, the snow & winter dragging on into late April. Going to Yuma this weekend for a 3 car show. Gonna be sunny & 85.
We're leaving for Phoenix tonight after my wife gets off work..will get somewhere beyond Alburquerque tonight. Saturday I've got a swap meet and two local shows, then the Pavilion cruise. If the shows/driving don't take much time Saturday, I'll take in a ball game at the Salt River Fields complex. Cool....cool....cool. High 70's forcasted for our time there.
Lowrider...are you going up to Scottsdale for the Goodguys show next weekend? I'll be going Friday, the 8th.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

I was stationed at Fort Bragg NC. in the Army, sure miss that Carolina weather! This winter just seems to drag on, and I want to cruise! Just wrapped up the engine project, now wiring, and interior left. Oh ya, radiator, does anyone know if they are still giving the deal on those aluminum 57' radiators a few of you purchased this fall?
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

geraldchainsaw

i just checked out about the kbs undercoating,   seems like they have whats called a cavity coater,   spray can with a nozzle,   might be just what i'm looking for,  i'll check on it more and let u know whats happening,   thanks for the info

57dohc

Rust control!  This really brings back memories of what I did growing up in the rust belt.  First a little background story.  I grew up in northern Minnesota where people just didn't have fancy cars.  My first car was a 1955 ford mainline 4dr ; it really was a good car but just didn't satisfy that urge to have something nice.  But we lived on a fishing resort and the rich folks that came up from the "cities" really had some nice ones.  I had just graduated from high school (1963) when the son of one of our guests arrived with a beautiful 57 skyliner.  I had seen pictures  of these but never in person. Plus it had a for sale sign in the window!  He was getting drafted in 2 weeks and needed to sell quick.  Cheap too as the engine had just developed a blinking oil light and knock.  Somehow I convinced my parents that was what I needed and the deal was struck for $700.  The engine was out in a tree by the weekend and I had gotten the top working again(mostly).  This car mean't as much to me as life itself and I wasn't going to let it rot away.  My solution was crude and cheap.  I mixed a solution of used engine oil and kerosene and found an old oil can with a 2 foot flexible spout with a fine nozzle and a big pump on the can. after cleaning out all the junk under the headlites, I sprayed that solution up there.  Removed the plug in the rocker panels and flooded them.  Door got their treatment from the drain holes in the bottom. Drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the front inner fenders and got to the inside of the front fenders behind the wheel  and capped with a sheet metal screw.  Back fenders were easy, just directed this liquid between the inner fender and wheel lip.  I even got up way past the dogleg.  There was some seepage to outside seams but it just would wipe off. I am sure it smelled for awhile, but that was what those christmas tree things on  the rear view mirror were for? 
It worked!  I drove that car for 9 years including 4 years in the Minneapolis salt during the college years and never had a spot of rust on it.  I did that treatment twice a year and it cost nothing.  I did a similar treatment to a Austin Healey 3000 I owned for 44 years without a spot of rust as well. 
I now live in a dry climate so I if I do something like this again it won't be that frequent. It is crude but effective.

Frankenstein57

I've been doing that to my daily drivers for years. Haven't tried the kerosene mix, just cheap motor oil, I try to catch the run off and use it on the next panel. When I put the 58 to bed for the winter, I oiled the doors and the front hood seam. I do my kids cars in the fall,  Mark