News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stainless trim fasteners

Started by rlibew, 2013-03-04 21:59

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

That is copyright material.  I don't know...just saying.  The books are few and far between and a little pricey.  The Ford Parts book and the Ford Illustrations book are available on CD.  I have a set of those and use them regularly.  If you are into parts, the CDs are a cheap tool.

ROKuberski

Here is one of the drawings.  I put it on my SkyDrive.  I think I have this setup for sharing.  Let me know if you can't see it.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b94bf3e4f9fccec1#cid=B94BF3E4F9FCCEC1&id=B94BF3E4F9FCCEC1%21601

This is indeed copyrighted material, so I cannot post on this site.  I will leave this drawing on my sky drive for a few days so you can see the type information available.  I found the manual on the website listed in a previous post, but could not find where it is listed for sale on their site. 

Rich

Zapato

tried it, told me I didn't have permission to access.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rlibew

I hope you can post those pictures, would be a great help, My 500 should be in paint this month (solid Flam red)  I'm trying to recreate my 57 from high school. My current car was a red and white and they really look good in two tone but my goal leads me to solid red. Hope its not a mistake

ROKuberski

Send me an email and I will return the drawing.

Rich

jrw429

Tom S

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-03-08 09:07This is indeed copyrighted material, so I cannot post on this site. 
I don't know for 100% sure if it is a problem to share stuff like this as long as it is not for profit.  I have seen quite a bit of things from auto & motorcycle repair manuals posted on various sites with no repercussions.  Like others, I have done so myself.  Posted scans or pix directly from current factory service manuals.  No problems & no one on those sites saying not to do it.
Rich, I sent you a PM, don't have your email addy .

Tom S

Thanks for the pic, Rich.  Still hard to tell what I need from those drawings but I'll figure something out.
I think an actual photos are usually better than drawings.
So, if I post the pic that Rich sent is somebody gonna yell at me?        

For what little it's worth I found a couple pix on page 3 of "NOS Parts & Pictures" at 1957 Ford.com.
http://www.1957ford.com/asp/gallery.aspx?catmstrid=2&catdetid=24

B7A-317-A, Moulding Clip Kit

B7A-201-B, Moulding Clips
Sold for $56.00 2002

gasman826

From the B7A-319-A kit, the rectangular clips are used to hold 90% of the 'hockey stick' molding on the side of a Custom.  These were 'glued' on from the factory.  I have no idea what to use as a modern adhesive.  The 'mouse tail' springy clips with the stud and nut are used on the other 10% of the Custom side molding.  They are used on the ends and the crotch of the hockey stick.  A caulk or plumbers putty is used as a sealer on the nuts.  DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.  Over tightening will dimple the sheet metal outword and then there may be molding/paint contact.  These fasteners are designed to hold the molding away from the paint so as not to crack or chip the paint.  The clips allow some movement.  They allow dirt behind them but also allow air to dry the moisture.  I was considering using the spring clips the entire length on my side moldings but they can be expensive.  I don't know why the factory mixed the hardware.  Was it an assemble speed issue or was it material cost savings.  I am wondering if the rectangle clips can be snapped into the molding, apply adhesive and stick clips and molding on in one step.  Add the nuts on the spring clips, a little masking tape and let the adhesive cure??

Ecode70D

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-03-09 07:34
     The 'mouse tail' springy clips with the stud and nut are used on the other 10% of the Custom side molding.
     Over tightening will dimple the sheet metal outword and then there may be molding/paint contact.      I was considering using the spring clips the entire length on my side moldings.   

Tom S and Gary...
   I bought the "mouse tail" clips for the entire Custom side moldings and  trial fit everything on my car.  Everything fits and that is what I'm going to use to install all my trim after the car is painted. (If I ever get finished block sanding it.)  Those clips are very forgiving on the fit.  The tail/spring keeps them in place.  They be trimmed down if needed.
   I'll look at my receipts and find the guys phone number if you need it.  As I recall he was very reasonable. 
    Jay   

Tom S

ROKuberski Rich emailed me info & pix of his trim fasteners & even some of the nuts & bolts.
His pix could be a big help for guys like me that don't have any of this stuff. I really appreciate him sending them. 
I mentioned to him that I was still not sure what clip goes in that wide part at the 'V' of the checkmark where the hole shows on this pic I found. Hell, I don't even have the holes!

He replied ...

Quote from: richI assume you have all of your trim. If so, is there a special bracket at the bottom of the ?V? already on the trim? I have a couple of places where there are brackets that are not easy to remove and the ?V? on my car is one of them. Ends of some of the pieces are other places with special brackets.

Anybody have any info or pix on that?

Ok, here is what rich sent me ....

I just took my trim to the store, laid it on the counter and asked for assistance in finding clips that would work.
Here are pictures of trim clips, new automotive type bolts and a few pictures of the clips installed in the trim.
Rich

This clip is used on the roof trim.  Place the clip in the trim then snap the trim onto the roof.

Roof edge trim with snap on clip in place

Clip for side trim

Part of the new fasteners that I got to reinstall the grill and other items on the front of the car.

More side trim fasteners.  I want to use this one on the side trim for the pieces that are above and below the gold panels.  It appeals to me to bolt this stuff on.  But, I will have both snap on clips and these that bolt on.

Side trim with clip installed

(TS: I wonder where those spring lookin' jobs on the right go?)

New clip nuts

New sheet metal nuts

RICH MUISE

grerat pics..thanks for posting Rich and Tom. The nylon ones in the first pic are basically the same as what I used on my Custom side trim in all the square hole locations, and I really liked them. The clips in the last pic are what I used for all the round hole..nut and washer locations. The metal ones are available in tons of sizes. For the bottom of the "v", I just found a longer version of the clip in the last pic. I do believe I had to dirill a hole for it...not sure how it was originally attached. I glued it (overnight) in place on the trim with "goop" to hold it in place. One word of caution..particularly on that longer clip for the "v"...just snug the nut..don't overtighten...those clips kink/bend easily.
Rich...a suggestion....cover your entire working area with blue masking tape before you start to fit the trim..and an extra pair of hands will be helpful to prevent scratches...ask me how I know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-03-13 13:27
Rich...a suggestion....cover your entire working area with blue masking tape before you start to fit the trim..and an extra pair of hands will be helpful to prevent scratches...ask me how I know.

Rich, you are only about 425 miles from me.  Come on over and tell me about all the things that I need to not do.  I can only imagine the frustration of making a scratch in a fresh paint job. 

IF you can't make it, I have a good friend about 3 miles away that will be glad to assist. 

I visited the car today and all painting is completed, sanding of the clear coat is complete and he will start to polish tomorrow.  I'm going over Friday morning to assist with a partial reassembly.  Things like tail lights and a few other items so that I can drive the car home.

When I had a '37 Chevy, I joined the VCCA, but it's mostly a social club.  My wife and I have enjoyed our time with them.  Now, my vintage Chevy is a 2002 Corvette.  Not so vintage.  Anyway, there will be a car show in May and I am going to put the Fairlane right in the middle of the Chevy show.  That will stir things up a little. 

Rich