News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door window belt weatherstrips

Started by clusterbuster, 2013-03-21 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

I am at the point of rebuilding my doors with channels ,glass etc., and bought all new belt weather strips made up for the 57. The outside one has the clips already installed and snaps on in seconds. The inner ones are fastened to the metal trim with brads. I removed the brads and took the strips off, but it looks rather difficult to fasten the new ones to the trim. I thought about a good catalized glue to fasten them. Anyone have any suggestions?

RICH MUISE

LOL...bad case of crs. I knew when I put my passenger side door together, I had forgotten something, but then after a few days I couldn't..and didn't remember what it was until you posted your question. I had forgotten to add the strip to the garnish rail.
I staple mine on..not that hard to do. Clamp the strip in place, run a strip of masking tape over the fuzzy area. then use a staple to puncture the masking tape. drill thru both the strip and the rail with a 1/16 drill bit using the punctured holes in the tape as a guide. I may have used a spring loaded center punch before drilling. I don't remember. Insert the staple by hand, and bend the legs over with a flat screwdriver and pliers.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

When I did my 62 Bird I used 1/8" long 1/8" pop rivets.  Used clothes pins to hold it in place to drill and then used a sharpy indelable marker to color them black.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

clusterbuster

Thanks guys. I also thought about using 1/8 pop rivets, perhaps a soft aluminum one. I thought of drilling like you did Rich, but didn't know how I would get the staple width exact to insert the staple in the holes. Your masking tape method is clever. Both of your tips are very helpful. Thanks again.  Don