News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mystery 57 Custom

Started by LAUDY57, 2013-04-19 22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

LAUDY57

Rich, I realized that I didn't post this on this site- I still know next to nothing about this car. I think it was built in WA State because a) that salesman told you that b) I have a picture of a WA plate that was in the trunk at the dealership but was taken out before I saw it and c) the driveshaft has a label of AUCKEEN DRIVESHAFTS in Kent, WA. I really appreciate the effort you put out when you were in Phoenix and showed the pics around, that was really good of you.
Since I got back I've been working underneath, new exhaust, re-running fuel and batt lines, clutch linkage, clutch arm, trans bushing, lots of little crap, and played with the steering u-joints. The bottom steering u-joint round ID wasn't the correct size so I milled a "D" shim but by making it snug I worsened the "humping". Before I switch to a double u-joint and steady bearing like yours and others I'm going to try offsetting the u-joints by 45 deg. My friend has this in his Merc (offset alignment was on the original shafts that came with his rack) and it worked with his severe angle, but it will only be a stop gap for me because of stressing the u-joints.
I've just got it ready for testing on Tues nest week, borrowed the wheels off the old 57 so I won't have the guy air wrenching on my centrelines and chrome nuts and am making longer ramps for my trailer so I won't hook the bellhousing on the trailer edge.
So for the last time (and to those who have seen this on other sites I apologize) does anybody know anything about this Custom? I would appreciate any info.

BTW, I had a nice chat with Jeff Norwell today and he sure enlightened me about what parts are worth now, I've really been out of the loop.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info and pics. That car is so awesome looking, I can't believe you're finding so many small things on that car that need replacing or tweeking..obviously the car is in the right hands. Someday you'll be doing a show and somebody will walk up and tell you they know that car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

LAUDY57

I hope so Rich, I'll be pulling the pan soon because of a rear seal leak and can probably at least measure the bore (and change the pan- I don't need a Moroso deep sump to catch speed bumps). Actually one of the neatest things is an aftermarket heater that is tucked way up under the dash, way better than the big old stack can on the firewall. There were several things like re-doing electrical connections for this somewhat "wetter" climate and plugging floorboard bolt holes that would have absorbed mucho water. Used some HIRSCH stainless steel paint for the exhaust pipes, my buddy has had it on for about 5 yrs now and his is still looking pretty good. Thanks again.

Jeff Norwell

Lorne...very nice speaking with you..... that is a KILLER 57!!!!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2013-04-19 22:40
...am making longer ramps for my trailer so I won't hook the bellhousing on the trailer edge.

I had that problem plus the ramps were already so heavy I need a crane to pick them up.  I bought a set of aluminum ramps from Northern Tool.  They are worth every bit of the $230.00!  To help keep from snagging the rear edge of my trailer, I put the trailer jack down and crank the front of the trial up as high as I can without lifting the rear wheels of the truck off the ground.  This makes it almost a straight shot coming up the ramps.

A few summers ago, I was cruising a rural county, paved road.  Laid back and being cool, I was not paying any attention until I finally heard a noise.  The center of the road was humped up and I was grinding asphalt with the bottom side of the car.  All I could envision was a messed up oil pan.  I watched the oil pressure and mirror for smoke.  Got home and put the car on the hoist(two post that is).  The pan did not have a scratch on it!  What was that noise?  I turned my gaze to the bell housing.  Gobs of asphalt were packet up against the lower lip of the Lakewood bell.  Well, it's nice to know that the bell is lower than the pan!

LAUDY57

LOL Gasman, I've been thinking about something might drag! I was envisioning going into a parking lot only to find the whole thing covered in speed bumps. Laying in bed last night I was trying to remember if I let the trailer go up on the hitch last time I loaded it. I think I'll try jacking the trailer like you said, should work and I agree AL ramps would be great but that's in the future. The budget is in for another hit as soon as I register this car because I'll have to pay sales tax even though the sale wasn't here. That sucks big time.

robhaerr

MORE PHOTOS!

Want to see the engine room and a shot of the gauge cluster!

Bitchen car.

Rob

LAUDY57

Rob, there's actually a few pics on the Hamb in my photo album (same username). I've been trying to use photobucket but after a few minutew it kicks me right out of there and closes Explorer. So now I'm switching to Picassa, loaded 151 pics of the Custom I'm going to try and sell and will put more pics of my new one there. When I post it for sale I'll give out the link.
What do you use for your great videos, a real movie camera or just a small one? I've been watching all these startum up and move out of the garage videos and thinking, I could do that! When I get the good wheels back on and can take it out on the street legally (or not). I think some of my neighbours might be PO'd with me already- it seems I can light the tires up real easy, at least in 1 & 2 -run out of room for 3rd. Punk kids and their cars!

RICH MUISE

LOL...I've learned not to say anything about my neighbors laying down some street streaks...their time is coming when they'll have to listen.
Lorne..if you have a set of those steel drive up ramps, try putting your short ramps for the trailer on top of the portable ramp. I've never done it, but was going to to get the Mark viii of the trailer when I brought it home if I needed a longer ramp.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2013-04-20 14:07
What do you use for your great videos, a real movie camera or just a small one? I've been watching all these startum up and move out of the garage videos and thinking, I could do that!

I have been using just a small digital camera for the Project 302 videos, a Canon SD800IS with a 2GB SD card. Not much video time on it, which has been good to keep my videos fairly short.

Just got an updated Canon SX260HS (for my wife, of course) that will take a 32GB card and takes much better HD video/audio and incredible photos...pretty cool for a point-and-shoot camera at a reasonable price under $250. I bought it from Amazon. I did this short video with it and looking forward the next "full episode"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olw5ygbFGLc

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUK14

Much better quality when compared to my previous videos.

I edit the videos in iMovie, pretty elementary really. It takes me a couple of hours to edit the clips together then upload to YouTube.

Rob

LAUDY57

Thanks Rob, I figure I can do it.
Thanks Gasman for the idea, I unhitched the trailer on the jack, left the safety chains on and locked the wheels, tied the ramps on and then just drove on slowly. Up she went and down she came!
With the skinny tahrs 'n black I figure it would have looked ok for that Moonshine festival. My wife bought a crapload of clothes in Maui, I bought a couple of licence frames.They are so-o-o colour cordinated!

gasman826

DON'T UNHOOK THE TRAILER FROM THE VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-04-20 18:26
DON'T UNHOOK THE TRAILER FROM THE VEHICLE!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!Don't ask......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Damn fine pics of the cars.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed