News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Emblems exact locations

Started by Piperj3, 2013-04-28 04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Piperj3

Hi, I just bought a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 and some of the chrome emblems had been removed some time ago. Rear quarters that say Ford Fairline 500, trunk and hood. Why they were ever removed I don't know, but I'd like to find the best place to purchase them and the exact location they were mounted. Can someone direct me in the right direction ?
Thanks
Bob
Wisconsin

RICH MUISE

Bob...the emblems should be an aesy find. Check our list of links for the normal suppiers. I know www.classicautoparts.com has bunches of repro emblems , scripts, etc.You might check  as well ... concourse, carpenters,ect.
As far as exact locations, I don't have a Fairlane, so I can't help you there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mark

Are the holes filled ? I could send you pictures of mine, or I plan on taking mine to my place in Crystal Falls Mi and will be running through Crivitz some time in the near future. Post some pictures of your new toy!!                     Mark

Frankenstein57

Bob, look close inside the quarters for welds or bondo in the holes. The front filler panel in front of the hood is another place. Where are you located in Wisconsin? The photographer for the hot rod radio website has a nice fairlane 500, he is at all the shows, and brings it with him. Sometimes he brings his 51 ford. It looks to be stock original, he's a great guy and I'm sure he can help you out, Mark

Piperj3

Hi Guy's,
Yes the holes are filled. The car is being delivered next weekend. I'll take a good look on the insides to see if I can fined the old holes. Ya, I don't even have the car and I'm already buying stuff for it.... :003: I'll see if I can attach a photo or two. We are actually located  close to the Crooked lake area about 26 miles west of Crivitz. Thanks for the help and look forward to meeting some of you.

Bob

RICH MUISE

Good looking car. I can see why you're looking for emblems..That one on the front just doesn't look quite right....hopefully a glue on, so maybe you won't have to deal with holes as that paint looks pretty darn good to be messing with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

That's a beauty.  With the possible exception of the little Ford script emblem on the front, & I think the back, I'd leave it as is.

It would really suck to accidently drill holes for the emblems in the wrong place.  :'(           

Piperj3

I guess the car was just restored in 2012 and the guy that had it had them ( the painters) take off the emblems because he didn't like them.
It's going to me now and I want it all original like she came out of the factory with the exception of any safety issue's. The only other thing he did was punch a couple holes in the doors for speakers that I'll need to remove and get new panels. Other wise she's pretty stock.
Thanks
Bob
Wis

sprink88

That car looks really nice
~Chris

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-28 21:11
That's a beauty.  With the possible exception of the little Ford script emblem on the front, & I think the back, I'd leave it as is.

It would really suck to accidently drill holes for the emblems in the wrong place.  :'(           

I agree......the car is stunning.....BTW...same color combo and model that sucked me into the 1957 Ford madness at a tender age.My great aunt owned one.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Zapato

am one of those guys that take emblems off, for me they detract from the o'all look. and if it was mine would do the same thing I did back in high school and swap out the back bumper for the simpler bumper found on the custom series cars. that being said that is one beautiful car and those little ford emblems need to go. and for the look you want that trunk lid looks naked.luckily its all available new in the aftermarket.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Piperj3

It looks like if I can't find the old holes, I'll need to find an old drawing/blueprint and or find a donor car to do some measuring.
Thanks for all the help and nice comments.

Bob
Wis

SkylinerRon

Find a donor and use paper & pencil to trace the location/holes.

Ron.

Tom S

Quote from: Piperj3 on 2013-05-02 17:15
It looks like if I can't find the old holes, I'll need to find an old drawing/blueprint and or find a donor car to do some measuring.
If you could get some good measurements from some common points on a 57 to the top, bottom, (especially the bottom!), & sides of letters of the emblem you might be able to locate the holes like this:
Stick a piece of paper over the mounting studs on your new emblems & slide it down flat to the back side.  Cut the paper in a rectangle at the letter bottom & sides & roughly the top. No need to trace the letters. Then tape the paper in the proper place on the car & locate the holes through the ones in the paper. 
Hope that description makes sense.
Not that I've tried this but I think it would work since the bottom side of all these letters on the emblems is a straight line.  Like Zap, I am usually taking these things off.
Oh, yeah, ... Hold the emblem up to the marks to double check that the holes are marked in the right place before drilling!  I have made paper patterns before & then flip-flopped them onto the part I was making.

Piperj3

The car came yesterday and the emblems ( ford ) are drilled. Damn, I'm going to have to take it to a body man and get them filled and painted. Otherwise the car is in pretty good shape but needs some TLC.
Thanks
Bob
Wis