News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Flaming River steering Column

Started by Jerry Box, 2013-04-24 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Box

Just put in rack and pinion from Rick Wurth and want to use a Flaming River column. I have read that some of you use a 28" column. But when I measure my old column after cutting it the way Rick Wurth said it measure 30". Can some one help me?  Is 2" going to make a big difference will it go through the floor and will it fit the dash at 28". And a little more info I just put in Drop em & Stop em Power Disc brake and spindle and Dave kit was so good I am no mechanic. I am a Old Carpenter by trade and this is my first old car.
egjbox@yahoo.com

gasman826

Since you are a 'old carpenter', mock up a column from a broom handle or 2x2.  Steering wheel position is a personal thing.  Temporarily clamp your mock up column in the original position and attach the steering wheel you are going to use.  Jump into the seat.  DOES IT FIT YOU?  The column should extend through the firewall ONLY enough to fasten the column to the firewall and only leave enough spline protruding to clamp on the first u-joint.  There are pictures on this site but if you can't find them I'm sure plenty of them will be posted if you ask.  Power rack and pinion is a really great upgrade and is certainly worth revisiting.

Jerry Box

Thank You and nice picture