News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Basic air intake question

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-05-11 08:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Why is it that almost every EFI setup whether OEM or hot rodded draws it's air from outside the engine compartment, and exactly the oposite for most carburated setups unless they are hood scooped?
More specifically, is there a problem drawing efi air from inside the engine comparment and eliminating alot of the ducting/routing problem?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57dohc

Rich;
The EFI conversion I did on my early Mustang does pull air from inside the engine compartment and does work very well.  I think the advantage to use outside air is that it is cooler and more dense providing more power.  I was always going to rig an outside source of air for that car and never got around to it.  My interest has now changed to the 57 and I will try to have access to outside air.  There are a lot of aftermarket air intake kits available that should lend themselves to a conversion in the 57s.

RICH MUISE

I'm a long way, as you know, from making that final decision, but the link someone posted on the 4.6 install into a pickup got me thinking about it. Also, the '56 Ford I saw in Pueblo had it routed to the outside, but not to the front as most have done. I really want to avoid putting the battery in the trunk if at all posible, so I'm looking at different approaches, including moving the battery to the driver's side. Longer starter cables there I know, but still alot shorter than from the trunk. One step at a time I guess...make room for stuff that HAS to be there first.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe