News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bumper Jacks

Started by BWhitmore, 2013-05-22 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

As many of you know I have been doing a lot of research lately about the proper bumper jack used in a 57 Ford.  I am not advocating the use of a bumper jack as they are pretty unsafe, but I thought a comparison of three different jacks might be interesting.  All three of these jacks are supposed to be for a 57 Ford.  Based on the diagrams posted by Rich I think that Jack # 1 is the proper jack for a Ranchero.  This jack has a "T" stalk, the jack with the small hook also has a "T" stalk (thanks Rich Muise) and the third jack has a square stalk.  Interesting comparison.  I also realize that Ford probably used several styles of jacks in 57 based on inventory. 

Ecode70D

Thanks for the pictures with the comparisons of the jacks. What is stamped on the top of the base of the one with the square stalk?   It looks just like the one in my custom.   Actually I took it out of a 57 retractable that I was parting out years ago.

I have to search for the diagrams posted by Rich.  This is an interesting subject.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than three of them.

No I will never use it.  I just like to look at it hooked to the clip and in place in my trunk.  When I start driving my car, I'll keep a scissors jack hidden someplace.

BWhitmore

The base of the square jack is stamped AB-K. 

BWhitmore

The diagrams posted  by Rich are under "Technical Diagrams & Drawings".  Thanks

RICH MUISE

I noticed when Sprink posted the pics of his black 4 dr yesterday the shot of the trunk has a jack in it. If you look at it, the stalk appears to be a trapazoid shape, and the jack has a large hook. There's another design for ya!!
Funny, when I looked at the pic, my first though was that it wasn't the oem jack. After seeing your post here, it obviously could be.
I wonder if they varied according to the model they were supplied in. The one with the hook in your 3rd pic came out of my Custom 2 dr.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4175.0;attach=6761
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Looking at the diagrams it looks like the wagon and Ranchero used the "T" stalk, all others used the square stalk.  The 57 TBird uses a hook but it is a larger hook.  It looks like Ford used whatever was available at the time as long as it somewhat lifted the car. 

BWhitmore

Sprink might want to do a little research about the jack in his trunk.  It looks like a 57 TBird jack and I have seen them sell for as much as $400.

Ecode70D

Bwhitmore
Thanks ....AB-K is what is stamped on mine also.
.Jay

sprink88

Unfortunately I didn't get to play with my car last night.  Was working on the van instead.  BUT today I have free reign over my car tonight.  I WILL be checking out my jack, if I didn't throw it away
~Chris

Jeff Norwell

They are very useful as self defence weapons.... hahahahah
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

sprink88

Here is my bumper jack. I do not see any stamping on base or anything
~Chris

BWhitmore

It looks like a TBird jack, but the base would have a mark AJ-A.  You might want to go on Ebay and search completed sales of 57 TBird jacks and do a comparison. 

sprink88

I will.  I didn't see a stamp, but I think I will have to take a closer look
~Chris