News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body panel question

Started by trent17, 2013-06-05 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Rust is a fickle foe.  We can speculate but actual inspection of the subject vehicle is the only way to make a diagnosis.  If the inner rocker is damaged, the body needs temporary bracing.  If the floor supports and/or the floor support braces (at the inner rockers) or the cowl/A pillar are damaged, repairs will be very difficult with the body on the frame.  Economical rotisseries can be bought or made.  The up front cost may sting a little but there will be a line of buyers when you complete your repairs and offer the rotisserie up for sale.  The other benefits will be in the quality of repairs and hours invested.  I'm not saying the repairs can't be made on the frame, I'm saying that my body doesn't move in those directions anymore and I'm not into slag burns in my ears.  I put inner rockers in with body on the frame.  PITA!!!  With the doors still on for gap checking, I tacked the inner rockers and floor supports.  Then moved to rotisserie to do the floors, finish welding, and outer sheet metal.

trent17

Just so I'm clear on the terms is the picture below labeled right? If so I will check them out. I'm sorry if I'm making a bigger deal of this than I should. Just want to do it right if it takes 10 - 30 years to do it. lol
http://www.th57ford.com

Custom 300 4 Dr (Old restore), Fairlane 500 2 Dr (In-progress), and Fairlane 500 4 door (Parts car).

RICH MUISE

Trent quote: "Just want to do it right if it takes 10 - 30 years to do it. lol"
that's funny....you're right where I was... let's see, 8 years ago. The only difference is, now I'm realizing I'm too old to take 30 years.
You do have the labels correct on Gary's pic.
If I were to start one all over again, the main thing I would change is spending the coin as Gary said for a rotiserrie. I had a lot more underneath stuff to replace than what it appears Gary did.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

trent17

I have been giving the rotisserie alot of thought. I all most feel it is needed on this vehicle. But I did not know what prep work before the removal of the body. Sounds like I need to get the rockers replacement panels and then cut them out to get a good idea what is behind them. I feel like now that I went home at lunch and looked closer at the bottom of the rockers, the inners are going to be bad. Here a pic of that. Couple more questions. How much does a 57 fairlane cab weigh? And what is the recommended bracing for frame removal process if this is the route I go ?

Custom 300 4 Dr (Old restore), Fairlane 500 2 Dr (In-progress), and Fairlane 500 4 door (Parts car).

RICH MUISE

You can skip the poking around with a screwdriver to see if your inner rockers have any rust.
(Don't ya hate a smart ass?!)
One more thought on the rotiserie...I did a body off after I did all my bodywork so I could do the frame and the underside of the car. I spent 10 days in our heat (I'm Texas also) with the body up just high enough so I could get under it scrapping, sandblasting, ect. I will never do that again. As bad as it would be on a rotiserrie, having your face 18" away from the sandblasted surfaces makes for one miserable day. I went thru 600 lbs of sand and 22 facemasks.
Do yourself a favor and get a twirly thing.

gasman826

It appears you will need inner rockers...at least the part in the picture.  Save yourself some money and shipping.  Your local metal shop can easily make inner rockers from 16 gauge with a 90 degree bend using a brake.  In the last year or so, floor supports have become available.  In the past, only floor support braces were available (just the part that welds to the inner rocker).  Any kind of light steel tubing will work for temporary bracing.  I have used, and seen used, 1/2" or 3/4" electric conduit.  It is available at any home improvement store and about as cheap as anything.  It is galvanized and may require grinding anywhere welding is needed.  Weld one piece across the inside of the door opening 6-8" above the floor (A pillar to B pillar).  Cross two more pieces between the B pillars (top to bottom on one side and bottom to top on the other).  If the toe boards are really bad, you might want to cross brace the cowl (A pillars).

RICH MUISE

trent...almost forgot. One thing that will save LOTS of time down the road. Before you disassemble anything, esp. doors, trunk, hood,...go around and drill 1/8" holes thru the hinges (on both ends) so that when you are reassembling you can use the holes with a 1/8 pin or drill shank to realign the pieces pretty close to where they were. I didn't know about that when I took mine apart...sure wish I did.
Rich

trent17

That is great advise. I will do. Thanks

Frankenstein57

The ranchero body I got from Randy Conner needs  quarter, and outer rocker work, I'm going to leave it bolted to the frame for that. Then hopefully my friends nova will be off his rotisserie, and I'll jump on. The project is stalled, I bought a house needing a makeover and someone else paying the bills. Oh, also summer arrived finally.  Mark