News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

DASH GAGE OR TANK GAGE

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2013-07-06 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i've looked up in my shop manuals for a adjustment to either,   i don;t  show a full tank,    can't find one in the books,    other then taken off the tank and bending the arm which could be ify,   is there another way?,   thanks   again,    jerry

RICH MUISE

Gerry..quote.."other then taken off the tank and bending the arm which could be ify,"
First, just wanted to make sure you didn't mean dropping the tank to get to the sending unit as that unit is accesible from the trunk.
Posibly the sending unit could be dirty and sticking,or corroded, but not too long ago there was a thread going on about an electrical problem with a gage/sending unit and one of the syptoms if I remember correctly of a short was the gage always reading full. I looked for that thread to give you a link to it, but couldn't find it..so maybe some of those involved in the thread can input something here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

thanks Rich,      i'll look under the floor mat

RICH MUISE

It's right in the center of the trunk. While your there, check all your wires...particulaly the ground. I don't have a wiring schematic so I don't know if it's just grounded thru the mounting, or if it's got a seperate ground wire. If it were me, I'd add a ground wire if it doesn't have one....can't have too many grounds. If the sending unit looks to be in good shape, I wouldn't bend the rod....look for a problem elsewhere.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Like Rich stated  It's accessible through the trunk.  I have been known to have bent the rod "a little" to tune it in.  Put a ground wire from somewhere on the tank to the body/frame.  Lots of times the tank needs to be grounded.     

hiball3985

I would suggest removing the wire from the sending unit and ground it with a small jumper wire, then see if the gauge reads full, that will eliminate if it's a gauge or sending unit problem. Also check the float, a partially leaking float may not rise all the way to the top.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

ok,  to all that gave their input,   i checked by adding my own ground wire,  nothing,  now before i takie the sending unit apart,  who has the round gasket?,     thanks    jerry

BWhitmore

John Wolf & Co in Pa rebuilds the sending units and also have the cork gasket.  If your sending unit needs to be rebuilt send the sending unit with the gauge and the Small voltage regulator and they will calibrate everything together.  The sending unit can be tested with an ohm meter.