News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

63 or similar gas pedal attach

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-07-20 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Jim, or anyone else with a '63..... gas pedal.....I'm trying to figure out how the gas pedal is attached to the floor. If I remember my old rusted out '57 gas pedal, the hinge was an assembly with the gas pedal. On the '63 pedal I want to use, the pedal does not have a hinge assembled. There must be a seperate piece, or hinge, that joins the pedal to the floor. Anythig special about this,such as a spring loaded pin,  or can I just rework a hardware store type hinge?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

whisper38

1963 has hinge at the bottom.But case at point see picture.This will also work.

Hoosier Hurricane

My '63 Galaxie has a suspended gas pedal, no connection to the floor.  John

RICH MUISE

whisper....if I can't make what I have work, what you posted is probably as close as I'll come to finding a suspended type pedal to match my brake pedal. I'm working on stuff for it now, or at least when I can. I'll post some pics later of a hinge I found that couldn't be better if I had designed it for this purpose. I'm also working on a crescent shaped thingy to replace the pedal pad on the Mark viii linkage. It should allow the floor mounted pedal to roll back and forth smoothly on the suspended linkage.
My next step is checking out the still-in-one-piece Mark viii in my driveway to see how much travel I need on the throttle cable. I have the '57 drilled for mounting holes where it needs to be, but I may have to shim it to get the right angle/ amount of travel without having too much or too little. After I do that, I'll know how to do any mods to locate the '63 pedal correctly. I'm gonna have to cut a hole in my new carpet when I mount the pedal to the floor, so I want to get it right the first time.
John...Is yours not oem, or did the '63's come with both floor mounted and suspended type pedals?

whisper38

Rich what I have is one off a mustang,it will work either for a spoon end or with one that has a hole in the end of the linkage.let me know if you need it.

RICH MUISE

Hoosier Hurricane

Rich:

Thanks for asking that question.  Made me look at the car instead of relying on my old memory.  The car does have a floor mounted pedal, sorry I jumped to conclusions and gave bad information.

John

RICH MUISE

John...I can sure relate to the old memory. My memory banks are full, so when I learn something new, something drops off.
I continued the gas pedal/cable linkage info in the engine swap section, under "4.6 dohc being installed now", to keep all the 4.6 related stuff together.
Rich