News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Good old fashioned Southern engineering....

Started by CableguyJJS3, 2013-08-21 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

When i picked up the Ranchero I saw the trailer hitch. As I have no itentions of ever towing anything with this car so I knew I wanted to remove it. Little did I know what I was gonna find when I got under the car to remove it...I'll let the pics speak for themselves, enjoy!!

Wow...just wow
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

Wow, kinda scary. The one on my car was similar. Did you cut it off, or just stand on the hitch to break it off?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CableguyJJS3

It was actually bolted to the bumper as well, so I cut it off that frame support to get rid of it. I was just blown away at the connecting rod cap used to mount it to the frame rail.

Ecode70D

Cable guy... Do you wanna sell that Kool Kustom built trailer hitch?  Will it fit all 57 models??

Just kidding.   

It makes me wonder what some people are thinking when they put their lives and the lives of others in danger.

Zapato

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-08-22 10:14

It makes me wonder what some people are thinking when they put their lives and the lives of others in danger.

The truth is that they weren't thinking, as we used to say at work ''we cannot make everything idiot proof as we had the innate ability to constantly produce a new improved idiot.''  One has to wonder what he ever towed with that setup.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

GaryI72

Having it bolted to the bumper was probably justification in their mind to weld the cap on.  Crazy.

CableguyJJS3

You betya I'll sell it...one of a kind totally custom trailer hitch, ought to be worth at least 500 bucks as its unique and custom hahaha. And it'll fit any 57 eazy pezy. But I doubt anything was ever towed with it. It was bolted to the bumper yes, but the bumper wasn't bolted to the frame, so I have no idea what they were thinking. Sad part is now I have that montrosity off and the bumper bolted to the car, but I think they added the 2 holes in the bumper, I dont see anything that should go there and they are some pretty ragged holes. It's a shame to beacuse that bumper is in great shape otherwise.

Ecode70D

Post a picture of the back bumper so we can make some suggestions on the holes.

Limey57

I've blanked off trailer hitch holes in bumpers before using the chrome (or stainless) dome-headed bumper bolts.  These are the coach-bolt type that usually pass through a square hole in the bumper, I had to use a spacer on the back face so a nut could pull it up tight but it worked well and almost looked "factory".

We have strict trailer hitch standards over here for newer cars (any hitch must be tested to the manufacturers maximum towing limits) and looking at what you removed there I'm thankfull we've got such standards!  I'm looking at fitting a hitch to my Ranchero, but it will be frame mounted in six places with 9/16" bolts.  I'd use a con-rod cap but I haven't got any spare!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

That type of engineering is not limited to the South