News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windsheild washer

Started by whisper38, 2013-07-26 20:20

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

mine has a foot pump on it,but everything else is missing,its a little hard to fix something when you have no drawing or guide to go by,anyone who can supply a drawing etc,to help me out,its bad enough that the wiper switch is missing also.the washer bag I can find,how the washer pump hook up's I have no Idea.If anyone has the wiper switch for sale and washer parts please let me know.Thanks 1957 ranchero.

Ford Blue blood

The wiper "switch" is really a cable, the fitting in the dash is twisted to turn on/off the wipers.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

If you don't care about keeping you car as oem as posible, the late model washer setups make for a neat and easy installation. The electric pumps are attached to the bottom of the reservoir using just a 2 wire hookup..power and ground. On my car the washer switch is on the '97 Mustang steering column I'm using, but any switch would work. I'm using a reservoir/pump from a 2000ish Mustang. The filler neck is all you see, as the reservoir is mounted on the wheel side of the inner fender. A five dollar item at the yards. If your car didn't have washers already, you'll also need some nozzles...also a salvage yard item, although most of the late model cars are going to have plastic ones. I found some aftermarket chrome headlight washer nozzles (Chevy?)I plan on using.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

As far as I know, all parts for the washer are available except for the foot operated rubber bulb and the cowel mounted washer jets.  That is about all I had on my car too, but I do have the original system working now.  Let me know if you need any pictures.

Look on page 118 of the Concours Parts 1949 - 1959 catalog and you will find a diagram of the system.  I had the foot mounted rubber bulb, metal connection that goes through the firewall, cable to the vacuum wiper motor, and bracket to hold the reservoir.  The rest I bought.  I did have to do some repair work on the metal piece that goes through the firewall.  This piece is also inside of the rubber ball and is wet all the time.  It's pot metal and mine has some missing metal.  I rebuilt it with jb weld and remachined it on my lathe.  I intend to build a brass unit sometime in the future as the potmetal unit ain't a gunna last forever.

Rich

whisper38

I may savage the washer off my old wrecked 1986 ranger,and I want to thank everyone for their help on this and other things in this forum.And rich if you have pictures of how it hooks up to the foot pump and to the wiper motor by all means post them for me.

ROKuberski

Here you go.

Rich

whisper38

thanks rich the pictures helped alot.