News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hidden dash radio

Started by TexasFordGuy, 2013-08-22 13:36

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasFordGuy

This looks like a cool way to get a modern radio hidden in the dash.  I would like to know how they did this.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

JPotter57

Pat Fleicshman did that.  That is in the dash of his much driven supercharged `57 Custom.  He is on here..will likely chime in once he sees this thread.  Very cool, and looks even cooler in person.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

sprink88

That is pretty cool. Looks like you would need to purchase a radio delete plate
~Chris

JPotter57

Yep, that's what it is, the metal box behind it uses a hinge kinda like what the ashtray has, so that the delete plate swings up and over the top of the head unit.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

I modeled the swing arm for the plate off a fox body mustang console ashtray.   Took a bunch of trial and error to get the arms made just right so it would swing up into the dash.   The arms I made are panel bonded to the back of the radio delete plate.   It also has a spring that holds it up and down.

The trick was to recess the radio back at least an inch.   Just have some channel bent up out of at least 18 guage, make a little box out of it.  Weld the box to the dash, cut out radio opening.   

The plate swings above the box and you will have to cut an opening on the top of the box and edge of dash for the plate to swing up.

It took a couple very late nights to perfect, but it works great and I still can change out the radio if needed. 

I also hid all my speakers. The rear 6x9's are under a black tweed material that cover the rear deck.  It actually matches the original board grain some.  There are two 10's in a box behind the rear seat, two 3" in the original dash speakers and 2 6" speakers in the kick panels which I custom made after making metal boxes in the lower cowl behind the kick panels to recess and hide those speakers too.

The small XM antenea is mounted in the middle of the back window on top of the rear deck and the regular antenea is under the drivers seat, so i thas no external anteneas.

I wanted to to still look totally stock radio delete and prevent thieves from seeing any stereo equipment at all.

It sounds awesome no matter what music you listen to, even over my flowmaster exhaust.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

That is so very cool Pat.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Frankenstein57

That is a great idea :icon_super:

sprink88

That is a great idea. Good job on it.
~Chris

Ecode70D

Quote from: suede57ford on 2013-08-23 01:28

I wanted to to still look totally stock radio delete and prevent thieves from seeing any stereo equipment at all.

Pat
   You certainly did keep it looking stock.  Looks like you put a lot of thought into it and it looks great.
Jay

TexasFordGuy

Thanks Pat. I have a set 55 F-100 glove box hinges I thought might work too.  Do you have any drawings or templates do the hinders?
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100