News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Started by James77, 2013-08-20 10:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-08-22 20:45
.I think of it as building a new car piece by piece,

building it the Johnny Cash way, shouldn't cost you a dime

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-08-22 23:53
building it the Johnny Cash way, shouldn't cost you a dime

Zap- :unitedstates:
And you will know it's me when I come through your town  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

Hey James, welcome. They are out there, If you are not picky. I found my 4dr for 1500. Invested about 500 to get it back running (new floors, wheel bearings, brake parts, etc) but I also have a long way to go, I can just drive it now as I work on it. They are out there. I almost gave up on Ford and committed to a 56 buick that needed more work. Then the day before I was going to commit, I found my Ford. They are out there. Just be patient. I LIVE for craigslist. And don't know where you live but I use statewidelist.com. It searches CL by state and I am not afraid of some travel (car trailer rental here is about 100 for the day) so I also look at the states surrounding me. There was just a 2dr post that was farm fresh, but the body was straight, needed floors and engine work for 1400. didnt last a week.

So I guess what I am saying, save your pennies, when you get close, start looking and don't lose hope. They are there.
~Chris

RICH MUISE

Sprink brings up some points to consider. Where you live makes a huge difference on what you'll be able to find and for how much. The condition of what you'll find being the major factor.
Avoid buying one online without a look-see if at all posible. There are specific areas on '57 fords that are rust prone and not so easy to detect for some buyers. We've had threads going occastionally on what to look for. Don't make the mistake a short-time member made about a year back. He lived in Texas (one of the better places to look), got impatient trying to find what he wanted, and bought one online sight unseen from New York (?). He was not a happy camper when he received the car after paying 1200(?) to have it shipped. The car may have been better than average for a New York project car, but real iffy for a southwest project car. How much rust, and where the rust is is probably the major factor in resto costs and time. I ended up spending 3-4 years  repairing rust on mine (wasn't a Texas car).
One major thing that would make a difference on what you look for is what your plans are for the car. driver/race/show/stock/custom/. I would think your plans on a build would be a major factor on what you need to look for.
We have many members in many parts of the country, that posibly could help you out if you find something your serious about. A few years back two of our members, Bob and Rick, in Orange County went up to L.A. to look at a car for a new NY member.
So, where do you live and what model are you looking for?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Okay, a foriegners opinion based on 57 Fords & Tri-Chevy's I've seen over here.  If you're after a Chevy there are more to chose from, BUT a "restored" Chevy often contains more bondo and fibreglass than any 57 Ford will.  Chevy buyers are like magpies, they get attracted by all the new shiney stuff bolted onto the car and fail to see that the side trim is held on with sealant and the floor pans are cardboard laminated with fibreglass matting.  You might well find those kind of "repairs" on a 57 Ford but it will be advertised for half the price of the Chevy......

I also find Ford owners a lot more approachable than Chevy owners, having previously had a 60 Impala I've seen it first hand.

You're in the right place here, ask lots of questions before jumping in and buying a car, it will save you a whole load of grief and money in the long run!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

My best advise....save as much as you can and buy the best you can afford.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-08-28 09:30
My best advise....save as much as you can and buy the best you can afford.....

and learn to do as much as you can.  I learned a long time ago you can put a butt load of material on the floor for the cost of one hours labor!  Also get all the technical manuals you can find.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Also, if you are buying a "project" take a good look at your tool cupboard.  A MIG welder, grinder, good aviation cutters, drill etc are the minimum, along with the usual decent socket set, spanners etc.  Also see if you can find somewhere that sells patience and buy more than you think you'll need!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

^^^all^^^ very good advice^^^^
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com