News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wiring

Started by Limey57, 2013-10-17 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I need to start thinking about wiring the Ranchero, the original loom is long gone but fortunately the original owner cut it, leaving any plugs intact.  So, what's best?

There are plenty of wiring kits out there with any number of fuses, relays etc, what am I better off going for?  Mine is pretty much stock, but runs a late 70's 302 (carburettor) with an alternator and an AOD trans.  I will also be installing a trailer hitch and a CD player.  Other than that everything is stock.

Wiring isn't my strong point, but the local experts keep telling me how easy these kits are.  Are they?  When I did my 60 Impala I used a complete new loom off-the-shelf and while it was expensive it was an easy-installation.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 Ford Kustom

Limey, I used a Ron Francis Retro series in my 57'. All the wires are color coated and labeled. I had never done a whole car before, it was slick and easy! The best part about it, is you can specify exactly what you have, and it will come in your kit. Thanks, Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Limey57

Thanks Tim, sounds just about right for me.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Ron Francis stuff is top of the line....you won't be disappointed. I had too many changes to my car to use a retro kit, ended up with their EXPRESS kit. The only thing electrical on mine that is still oem is the headlight wiring...and that may have to change if I go to higher output lamps. I believe the designation for the wire they use is gxl, but I'm going from memory. I think it's a higher grade than even what Painless uses.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe