News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhaust pipe joints

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-12-11 10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

These "ball and socket" type joint I've got on the h-pipe/downpipes.....are they put together dry, or some sort of paste/sealer applied to the joint? The only gasket that came with the kit was for the oval downpipe flange that was welded in place.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

BWhitmore

I always thought that type of exhaust pipe connection used a ceramic donut to seal properly.

RICH MUISE

I just logged on to the Mac site and pulled up their installation instructions (were not included in the box). Good thing I did because I forgot to check what an included adapter was for....and it turns out I need it. (The pipes are 1 1/2, but the driver's side collector on the oem manifold is 1 1/4, thus the adapter for a proper seal....I'll get it put on tommorrow before I forget.)
Almost forgot..there was no mention of any sealers or donuts, or anything other than the included gasket and adapter. "if there are any leaks, loosen connection and retighten". I do remember seeing a donut in the past for some exhaust system...but apparently not for this.

Frankenstein57

I have used the orange silicone in the past, sort of a light film of insurance. But usually on used parts.

Ford Blue blood

I put an after market exhaust (cat back) from Flow Master on my 99 Cobra, all went together dry.  No leaks.  I did put anti sneeze on the nuts and bolts.  The system is very good and very easy to get a seal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Since I don't have a running engine, I figure it's probably best to assemble dry anyways...can always go back later if needed after I can actually test the assembly.

lowrider

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2013-12-11 19:28
I always thought that type of exhaust pipe connection used a ceramic donut to seal properly.

You may be thinking of another type pipe that has a lip on it that the donut seats on.

SkylinerRon

The late model stuff is called ball and socket. No sealer is used.  Think of it like a brake line flair.
Goodluck,
Ron.