News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wagon Headliner rear trim?

Started by robhaerr, 2014-01-04 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Guys...

See the photos...I cannot find an image of any trim piece that covers the headliner in the rear of a wagon. I would like to locate one or make one, but would like to see what one looks like. The Ford 1957 Ford Shop Manual does mention a "roof rail" and "wire-on binding" on page 10-10 (page 10 of chapter 10), but I do not see what these look like.

I may need to peel back the very rear section of headliner to wrap some anti-rattle felt around the "torsion assist rods" that work the lift gate (rear window), and would like to have a trim piece to put over this rear roof area headliner.

I have major-annoying rattling from the liftgate/tailgate area I need to SILENCE!

I may have rattling coming from inside the tailgate, too. These rattles will be found once my daughter helps me locate by riding in the back and listening with great intensity!

Anyone...anyone? (I know we don't have many wagon owners on here)

Rob

petew

Rob,
In the picture you will see what was on my wagon as trim. Basically a piece of cord wrapped in material that goes between the termination of the headliner at the back and the roof. As I see it that trim is forced up into the dragons teeth and the cord looks like a bead which finishes the headliner edge.
My car had a newer headliner and the installer did a rotten job back there and that piece was all puckered and partially hanging. Like yours they figured weatherstrip glue would fix everything. I am not aware of any other trim piece that goes in that location but I'm no expert.
My car will be getting a new headliner since the car has been gutted. Had I not been replacing it I would have taken the car to an interior shop and had it repaired there . Headliners are like a black art to me.

Pete

robhaerr

Thanks Pete!

Looks like wind lace on yours.

I need to really figure out where this rattling is coming from...the lift gate mechanism under the headliner or the tailgate mechanism.

Hopefully someone else will chime in if they have a different situation back there!

Thanks!
Rob

Ford Blue blood

Torsion bars on the lift gate similar to trunk lids?  Plenty of stuff in the lower gate to get loose and rattle around.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Have your daughter drive and you ride back there to listen.

robhaerr

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-01-04 20:41
Have your daughter drive and you ride back there to listen.

Uh....no...but not a bad idea!

Even though she is 22...she, my son (26), and wife seem to be afraid to drive it.

Ecode70D

This is just a thought.
  Would you consider removing the tailgate first and then drive the car around to see if that would help you to locate the problem before getting into the the headliner?

robhaerr

Ah Ha!

All the rattling is the connection locking hardware mechanism of the tailgate to the liftgate. Trying some things to quiet it down.

Glad it's not behind the headliner...but still want some kind of trim across that back roof edge.

My son drove the car, after I had him trying to listen for the rattles. "Geez, Dad...everything rattles back here!"

He was surprised at how well the steering and brakes worked after he experienced the manual brakes and steering previously.

He does not have an "appreciation" for cars...it's just a way to get somewhere.

Rob