News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

loose motion in the sterring wheel

Started by Jerry Winton, 2014-01-27 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Winton

I need help in getting rid of loose motion in the steering wheel of my Fairlane.  The car does have power steering. Thanks ahead of time.

Hoosier Hurricane

First you need to determine where the lost motion is.  Get under the car and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth (engine not running) within the range of the lost motion.  Watch all the connections in the steering linkage for looseness, also watch the idler arm for up and down movement.  If all these are tight, and the pitman arm doesn't move when rocking the steering wheel, then the steering box needs adjustment.  Since it is power steering, there will be a slight side to side motion where the control valve connects to the pitman arm, that is normal.   John

Jerry Winton

thanks for your response..... I will get a friend to help me to try the procedure that you suggested.  My car only has a little over 36,000 miles so I hope that there is not much wrong, just adjustments.
Again, thanks
Jerry Winton

Hoosier Hurricane

Jerry:

One thing I forgot to mention because it rarely happens.  Check the bolts holding the steering box to the frame.  Occasionally they work loose and the box shifts on the frame as you turn the wheel.   John