News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Pedal assemblies

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2014-03-03 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the pedal assembly (gas/brake/clutch) of a car with a 3 speed manual with overdrive and a car with and automatic?
I am making a swap to an AOD and I need to ditch the clutch pedal, can I disassemble the stock pedal assembly and remove the clutch pedal or do I need to change the entire assembly to make it like a car that originally had an automatic?
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

RICH MUISE

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the pedal assembly (gas/brake/clutch) of a car with a 3 speed manual with overdrive and a car with and automatic?
LOL...yup..the automatic only has one pedal!
I couldn't resist...sorry about that VW.
When I switched mine from the manual to automatic, I pulled an automatic pedal only out of a '61, and it fit perfectly, so I guess that's what your asking..you can just switch the pedals without switching the steering column/pedal/dash support bracket.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

parts book says brake pedal arm is all the same.just bolt on the correct pedal pad

VwDrvFnd

It looks like from this picture from the shop manual that it is as simple as pulling a clip and a bushing to remve the clutch pedal, and that all you have to do,is swap the pedal pads for the power brake pad.

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

gasman826

The clutch pedal has the pin fixed to it.  You will need to find an automatic pivot pin.  Ford petals were extremely similar so a pin will interchange from near 40 years of donors.  I have seen clutch pedals pushed to the floor and carpet over them!

RICH MUISE

I vaguely rememmber struggling to get everything installed because of the retracting spring....and I was doing it on the bench. The nylon/plastic bushings get brittle with age, and new ones are available
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

gasman826.. funny you say that, I was ready to pull the clutch pedals out of our parts car for the car we are building.  I decided to climb in the build car to see how it came out before climbing in the dirty mouse infested parts car.

What do I find shoved to the floor with the carpet layed over it?  Haha

Saved a lot of future health issues there!

Kevin

gasman826

Pedal under the carpet has been done many times.  I'm glad the 'heads up' saved you disturbing the mice.