News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Window channel.. How hard to reinstall?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2009-11-08 08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Reviving an old thread here, I was by my friend with the custom 300 today. He was wondering how to install the rivets sent with the window channel and vent seals. If I read correctly, Rich used a drill press with a punch, you must have mocked up some metal to fit the opposite side of the channel and not destroy the strips? A pop rivet gun would probably interfere with the glass sliding, and most wouldn't fit inside the channel. There is probably more to this story, anybody?

RICH MUISE

It's been so long ago. Yes, I think you are correct, Mark. I remember riveting something where I held a piece of 1/4" bar stock sticking up in a vise so I could lay the channel on it with the rivet in place. The transfer punch with part of the point ground off worked well to form the rivet correctly because of the radiused shape @ the point. The only downside was having to sacrifice a transfer punch, but in a normal set of punches there will be a few sizes that will work for what you need here, so pick a size you're less likely to have a normal use for. I've got a very lightweight drill press, btw, so I had to do the final seating of the rivet with the same transfer punch and a hammer.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe