News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

shortening a 57 steering column

Started by JimNolan, 2014-05-17 17:27

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   Have any of you shortened a 57 Steering Column to get it away from your face. In my case my belly. I've decided that is going to be my next project and I'd like someone to tell me how to do it. I want to keep my same steering box and steering wheel. If I'm not bad mistaken it looks like my steering wheel could go toward the dash about 3" without any problems if it were just shorter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be upset to farm out the job either. I'm not a welder to begin with. I figured the shaft inside would have to be cut and rewelded to maintain the hole going through the middle of it for the horn wire. If anybody's done it let me know soon because I'll be going to Carlisle next month and I could probably find another column to work with there. I also don't need a gear shift. Thanks, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

I think that would be a reasonable project.  You don't have to deal with the collapsing or shifting issues.  This would give you a chance to clean up the unused shifting hardware.  I have a couple of column/box assemblies if you need.  Do you already have the smaller wheel?

rmk57

If it were me doing a project like this I would look at replacing the 57 steering box with something a little more up to date.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-05-17 19:49
I think that would be a reasonable project.  You don't have to deal with the collapsing or shifting issues.  This would give you a chance to clean up the unused shifting hardware.  I have a couple of column/box assemblies if you need.  Do you already have the smaller wheel?
I already have a 15 1/4" wheel. I'm about 130 miles from you. I was just up at Coldwater couple weeks ago. Send me a PM of how much you want for it and your address and I'll just run up in a week or so and get it. That's better than dragging one home from Carlisle even if I can find one there. I have my car packed to the hilt with suitcases, doggy buggy's, enclosures, canopy and tools anyway. Should have bought a station wagon I guess. Thanks Gasman

gasman826

I usually make the Coldwater swap...usually a good one.  Friday rain, Saturday and Sunday reserved for several Mother's Day events. 

I'll pull one out of '57 Courier with 3 speed, box  and no wheel.  $50

57 imposter

We have done this mod. on various vehicles. you are right, it is no big deal. Just section the amount you want out of the steering shaft. We make an insert for the steering shaft with a hole drilled in it for the horn wire. this will realign your shaft straight and give you a good strong connection when you weld it back together.

JimNolan

Gasman,
   Give me an address and when do you want me to come get it. It's about a 2 1/2 hr. trip up there for me. Thanks, Jim