News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Can somebody help me with a stock measurement?

Started by 65kcode, 2014-03-16 09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

65kcode

I am replacing the stock steering box with a Borgeson PS box, Summit steering column and Summit steering wheel.

I measured the stock column and steering shaft before removing it. However, the the new box sits taller into the body, U-joint and 2.5" steering wheel mount, are all different. I also have the front seats and carpet out, so I can't really get an idea sitting in it to know, how far it should extrude from the dash.

Does somebody have there stock set-up handy in their car that they could take a measurement from the dash (where it comes thru the dash) up to the base of the steering wheel?

I'd really appreciate it!

Kevin

gasman826

An out of position steering wheel can ruin a ride.  Mock it up.  Bolt in the seat you're going to use.  Set in the car with a cardboard steering wheel with the same diameter of the wheel to be used.  Attach a broom stick to the wheel.  It's your car...fit it to you.

Sandiaman

Stock position on my Ranchero is 7  3/4 from dash to top of steering column.

65kcode

VwDrvFnd

I am planning on doing the same install very shortly. I would be very intrested in seeing some pictures of your install and to know if you have had any hangups.
The only thing i have see from the research I have done is if you want to use a column shift it my not fit. I have been looking at putting in an AOD with a cable shift from IDIDIT that mounts to the end of the steering column. As for me I want to have the steering wheel as close to the dash as I can. I have a fat gut and short legs!
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

65kcode

Our set-ups will be a bit different, I'm running a manual transmission, so I don't have to worry about the shift linkage in the column, but I may have to fight with another pedal. I'll get pictures up as I can to help you out.

Kevin

VwDrvFnd

I am pulling my 3 speed OD to put in the AOD. I need a tilt wheel and really want an automatic or else i would keep the three on the tree. Anything you can provide would be much appricated!
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

65kcode

I got my set-up completed... I used a Flaming River Tilt column - 28" long 1 3/4" diameter and uses the GM 4 1/4" plug for wiring. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr20000bk
This column/shaft is a Double D to the splined Gregerson steering box we used.
I cut a piece of channnel to use as the bottom mount for the dash mount connection.

I used a Summit Steering wheel to finish it off.  It didn't take long, probably because I didn't take any pictures...oops!

Kevin

VwDrvFnd

Glad to hear you got it all setup!
Couple of questions if you dont mind, What measurment do you have between the back of the steering wheel(end of column) and the dash? Also how much of the column was sticking out past the firewall and the engine bay side? Did you use a DD to spline universal joint or rag joint for the connection between the column and steering box?

65kcode

The column is kind of misleading because of the 2.5" adaptor for the steering wheel. The furthest position, tilt clear down is 10.5" to front face of the steering wheelat the top of the wheel.  The tilt clear up is 7.250". I felt it most comfortable and with the ability to see gauges in the middle position of the 5 settings. About 9.50" from the dash.

The column is completely in the cabin, doesn't extrude outward into the engine compartment. The steering box splines come into the cabin and uses a Borgeson Steel U-joint 1" DD x 11/16-36 spline.

Hope this answers your questions. With an email address I can send you some photos from my phone.... PM if you don't want it on here.

Kevin

VwDrvFnd

yes it anwsers my questions, would love to see the photos. nevetsdh@att.net
thanks.