News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Manual Steering Upgrade Options

Started by Fryguy302, 2013-10-03 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Fryguy302

We ended up installing a manual steering box from a 1964 Ford.  It came with a pitman arm and bolted right in.  It was bigger than the factory 57 Ford box, but still cleared the 460.  We eliminated the rag joint that was on the car (it connected a modified chrysler column to the factory 57 ford box), and now the system feels way tighter.  I won't get to drive it until the weather breaks but it seems like a great modification so far.

Fryguy302

Drives great with the 64 box.  We did have to make some slight modifications to the clutch linkage to clear the larger box.  It has very little play and drives great though.  I'm glad I went this route rather than the expense and lack of turning radius that comes with the rack conversion. 

BBoswell

Good choice. If you like manual steering you will be very happy with the 64 box. I put a rebuilt 63-64 Galaxy box in my Ranchero and it was very tight and drove great. I could cruise down the freeway with one hand on the wheel and the other arm on the window sill looking cool and feel in complete control. I personally didn't like the manual steering and replaced it with power rack and pinion which I love.