News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hydraulic clutch conversion

Started by lalessi1, 2014-11-15 10:46

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I was looking at pictures on the site and I noticed a clutch master cylinder in one of them. Typically I didn't note/don't remember where or whose car it was on. Can anyone shed any light on this modification? Don't know if the topic has been covered before but it seems this would free up power steering/header room. I have an FE/4 speed toploader with a stock clutch set up now. Thanks.
Lynn
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Sounds like Gary's...(Gasman)...he's on here frequently, shouldn't be too long before you get a response.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I've had several clutch systems...typical equalizer, cable, and slave cylinder.  So far, the very best is a hydraulic throwout bearing.  No rare linkage to find.  No reinforcing OEM linkage for beefier pressure plates.  No more squeaking and binding.  No room issues for headers.  No more adjusting.  No knee fatigue!!!!  This system is so effortless that I can push my pedal to the floor and hold it with my hand.   I have a Mcleod Street Twin rated at 1500HP and pushes like an OEM that isn't hooked up.  Mounting the master cylinder with the correct geometry can be a little challenge and the brake pedal attaching point will require fabrication (no different than a brake master cylinder).  It will take longer to install the first time than OEM linkage and more expensive, but sweet to drive.

lalessi1

Thanks gasman. That was the picture I saw. Which Wildwood master cylinder did you use?
Lynn

gasman826

3/4"...came in the kit with the bearing

lalessi1

I did a little more digging on line. I saw a really neat looking set up for a Mustang that put the master cylinder in line with the clutch actuating rod (on the Mcleod web sight).

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics/1964-1966-mustang-hydraulic-clutch-linkage-conversion-kit.html

(Still don't know how to send a link on my old mac book, sorry) This looks like it would be pretty simple to adapt to my Custom.

Lynn

gasman826

I am amazed at how quickly the aftermarket steps up and makes kits for the stuff that a few years ago there was NO support.  When I bought this stuff in 2006, tech support at Tremec, McLeod, and Lakewood had no ideas about compatibility.  If I was successful, they all wanted me to let them know.  I see in the pictures of the Mustang kit that the clutch pedal is built up off the left side.  Even with the clutch master and the brake master installed against each other, the push rods are still further apart than the OEM push rods.

lalessi1

I noticed that too, but I am thinking that the upper pedal configuration in the Mustang is much narrower than the 57s. I was amazed to see the master cylinder on Mcleods website. Doing "home work" now. I also am looking into hydraulic brake boosters and I found a 2 bolt Bosch/Bendix assembly for a Mustang, it "looks" like an easy add on as well. I know this is off topic but it is amazing how fast the aftermarket is moving.

http://powerbrakeservice.net/new-1967-1970-ford-mustang-hydroboost-brake-booster-mp.html
Lynn

gasman826

When I did mine, my brother-in-law had just given me his grandpa's '74 Lincoln.  The Lincoln was a rust bucket so I just cut up what ever I needed.  So I cut out the Lincoln firewall around the brake booster, gas pedal, and steering column.  Welded it into the '57 at the right height for me, the 460, and the R&P steering.  I used the Lincoln pedal/column support end and welded it to the '57 pedal support so the '57 dash married to the '57 pedals, that married to the Lincoln firewall, brake booster, steering column, gas pedal...much easier than fabricating each sub assembly to the '57 firewall.  A little metal work and paint and everything looks like it belongs there.
In other words, my brake booster has the 4 bolt pattern.  The aftermarket 2 bolt pattern booster looks like a bolt-in for the 2 bolt firewall.  That booster will give MUCH more clearance around valve covers.

lalessi1

I followed your thread and I figured you had a donor car. I don't have the space or the shop I wish I had so I am always looking for easier ways. I didn't have a clue about hydraulic power assited brakes before I saw all of the posts on this site. I will NOT use a vacuum booster as a result. Amazed at what is out there. I have been idle in "car land" for a long time.....returned to my first car love...
Lynn