News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

V-shaped holes in floorboards

Started by jvo, 2015-02-12 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

I am almost done the floorboard work on my Ranchero project.  Just wondering what you guys do with those little V shaped holes in the floorboards?  Do you leave them as stock, so any water can drain out, or weld them up to keep any water from coming in from the bottom?  This is the only car I have ever seen that has these little holes.  There are several it seems in the lowest areas of the floor pans.  I am probably going to weld mine closed unless someone can give me a good reason not to.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Limey57

I've left them as stock on my Ranchero.  My theory is that no matter how well you think you've sealed up the pick-up bed, some water will find it's way through eventually so I've rust proofed everything and left the cut-outs in place as drainage "just in case".
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I agree...all my oem drain holes were left intact...even added some. Particularly important in the rockers, doors, and rear quarter panels. Our old cars were designed to pass water thru, not keep it totally out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jvo

I guess that's a valid point about water leaking down through the pickup bed.  I would never seal up the bottom of doors and quarter panels, but was more concerned about water wicking up from underneath into the carpets when running in the rain, etc.  I am glad I asked this question, cause I was about to start welding them closed.  I guess I'll leave them as stock also.  Good information here.  Thank you.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Ecode70D

I would not weld up those holes. You need them where they are.