News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windshield Seal Problem

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-11-19 18:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

As the title says my glass man is very upset with the windshield seal that I provided along with a new windshield.  He is "the one" in Phoenix to have a vintage car windshield installed as a fact he has just replaced 2 Ranch Wagon windshields in the last 5 weeks.  He just called me and told me this is the worst seal he has worked with and isn't sure it will work.  I bought this one from Steele and I thought it would be really good.  That is water under the bridge and I'm not trying to bash Steele products, what I need is a good seal.  What is the best one that is available today hopefully one that you have used and one that you would use again?  I've been waiting 8 weeks to get my stainless windshield trim back from the polishers (that is another frigging story) I just need to be ready if he gives up on the one I gave him. 

RICH MUISE

Jerry...I got mine from Dennis Carpenter years ago. It's been on the windshield on the bench for a year or two....got to get it installed pretty soon. I think most of the guys have used the Dennis Carpenter, and unlike their door seals, I've never heard any negatives about them. I frankly wasn't aware Steel even made the windshield seals..I though DC was the only game in town.
I'm a little confused however about why your glassman has the glass and seal if your stainless is still not back from the polisher....the stainless trim has to go on the seal/windshield as a package when it is installed in the car. You will not get the trim on after the windshield is installed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

petew

Put mine in myself with a Steele gasket about 6 months ago , the seal was excellent no issues at all. Perhaps you got a bad one ?

Limey57

I installed the one in my Ranchero two weeks ago using a seal from Macs, went in fine with no issues and I was working alone!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Raven Rider

Rich I have my Stainless back now, I went to pick it up if it was done or not.  I was setting there for me to pick up.  I did not get a call and when I asked the owner why I did not get a call he said "that is not my jog it is Sally's job"  that is a good way to run a shop. 

Raven Rider

I just checked with the glass guy and he said the channel in the seal was too big for the glass but it is in and looks good.  Thanks for the replies.

gasman826

Sounds like the problem could be with the new windshield.  I ran across this several times.  New glass being thinner than OEM.  My glass guy wanted the old side glass not only for the pattern but also to confirm thickness.  Some glass suppliers make the glass the same shape but not as thick.  Saves money...material and shipping heavy glass.  I searched several suppliers to find a windshield the correct thickness but also with no shaded upper edge...it's like wearing sunglasses at night.  All my seals are from Steele.  All the glass has fit correctly.  I'm working with the trunk seal and I'm skeptical about the thickness of that seal...I'll keep working on it.

Raven Rider

Yes I wonder if the glass I bought was out of spec on the thin side.  I bought my windshield from AutoCity and I've heard good things about them but I still wonder and I don't have my original glass it was so bad I could not see out of it if I was driving into the sun.  Oh well it is done and I can't wait to look thru my new windshield this afternoon. 

petew

I have the windshield that came out of my car stored in the garage attic, if you want / need any measurements let me know.
My replacement windshield came from Autocity also and it fit perfectly.

gasman826

You get accustom to an old one.  A new one will put a smile on your face.

Raven Rider

Pete please measure your windshield for me the glass man said mine was about 3/16th thick if you can call it thick.  It is in and I sure do like having a windshield that is without any pits or breaks or stars. :003:   My old one had a whole family of breaks and pits.  I can even here my new stereo cool. :004:

petew

Sorry for the delay, my old windshield measured .260 at the top / middle of the glass.

Pete

hiball3985

Thin glass on replacement windshields seem to be common. Same problem on early Mustangs.
I don't know if they are made offshore or US manufactures are trying to save pennies too.

I need a new one in my 57, has bubbles where it is delaminating around the bottom and side edges  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Funnily enough, I mentioned this to a guy that came out to repair a stone chip in my daily (Mercedes station wagon) yesterday.  He said that most manufacturers these days use 8mm (5/16") for windshields except VW who use 6mm (1/4"), he refuses to repair stone chips on VW's because as soon as he applies the vacuum to the stone chip to draw out the air the thinner glass cracks.  He wasn't aware of manufacturers trying to use thinner glass over OEM specs to save money, but said it wouldn't surprise him.

3/16" sure is thin for a windshield.............
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Raven Rider

My glass guy did not measure my windshield at 3/16ths I think he was just trying to make a point.  I called Autocity Classic which is where I bought the windshield but he would not measure the windshield for me but he did say " we might have sourced the windshield from a different company so my glass might have been a little thinner than usual" nice - it is just my luck!  No problem I like the new windshield it is free of cracks and pits for now.