News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bumpers

Started by Allen, 2014-10-23 05:19

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

I was out at the Pomona swapmeet yesterday and noticed an uptick in the number of chrome shops there. Last time I was out there was about 2 years ago when  I saw only a few BIG shops that had 50+ bumpers on display. This time around there were many more smaller shops that had only a few bumpers on display and were actively advertising. I could tell some of these smaller shops were not chrome mills. At least one of the guys I spoke to wanted to tell me every step of the process  and was answering all my questions. The big shops didn't bother much, they wanted core exchanges and pretty much blew me off when I started to ask anything more than pricing or timing questions..  I did get some quotes on a front bumper. The going rates were actually lower than the last time I checked  at $280-400.

This sort of makes sense, the chrome shops in Santa Barbara and Ventura county seem to be gone. The small shops must be popping up in the industrial LA areas to make up for the demand form outlying counties where chroming is no longer happening due to local ordinances making it more difficult, expensive or outright prohibited.

This is new pricing I encounters is more reasonable. I'll have to start doing some background checks, but it seems to me like I will be going with chrome again soon rather than later.

Also picked up a few Holley y block dizzies and one I can't identify that I initially thought was a '57 tach drive.. I'll see about posting some pictures under a new topic, maybe someone can help me identify it.