News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New white walls to buy. Size?

Started by Lucky'57, 2015-01-08 04:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky'57

Dear Sirs - I'm looking to put in a tire order for my stock 57 Fairlane wheels because I want wider whitewalls (mine are 1" and I was thinking of 2 1/2"). Am I going too wide with this tire selection (900 x 14)? I read in the tire section that the stock wheels are like 5 1/2 ", the attached Coker specs recommend a wheel width of between 6 and 9. Alternately, I'm thinking of the Coker Classic G78 x 14 bias ply. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

lalessi1

I would not buy the 900 x 14 tires. The diameter is too large. This tire is 6% larger than original in diameter, causing two problems....speedometer error and effectively numerically lowering your overall gear ratio. For example if your speedometer is accurate now at 60, after you change the tires the car will be traveling at 64 mph when your speedometer reads 60. If you have a 3.5 axle ratio now your car will drive like it has a 3.30 ratio. Not a lot I know but you will notice. The G78 x14 is almost the same diameter as original, something one should always consider when changing tires, and it is wider too. If it were me I would go to a Coker wide whitewall radial tire. 215/75R x14. It is slightly smaller in diameter, wider tread, and safer. Bias ply tire tend to build up heat especially at low pressure (blowouts were common in the day), they ride rougher inspite of requiring lower pressure, and have more rolling resistance.

If you change wheels try to stay as close as possible to the original offset. I would also use a rim width midway in the  range of recommended widths.

BTW I had 900 x 14
Lynn

Lucky'57

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-08 08:54
If it were me I would go to a Coker wide whitewall radial tire. 215/75R x14. BTW I had 900 x 14

That's good enough for the girls I go with. Thank You.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

John Palmer

I use Diamond Back WSW tires on my vintage travel trailer's.  I have been very satisfied with their tires.  The trailer I currently have uses General Tires with the Diamond Back WSW vulcanized into the new General tire.

They have a nice informative website, and an extensive listing of vintage sized car /truck tires.

Lucky'57

Appreciate the input John & Lynn, have decided to go with the 215's, got four of them coming for $1,100 Canadian with free shipping. Gonna be nice riding on some new boots come spring  :burnout:

SkylinerRon

57's came with 2.25" www
Sedans came with 5." wheels (7.50x14)
Sw,SD, Ranchero & Skyliner had 5.5" (8.00x14)

Ron.