News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Speedometer Quit

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2015-01-10 10:18

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

This morning my Wife said ,Honey go get us a biscuit , I said OK , I'm all about biscuits and an excuse to drive my 57. Trouble was it was 19 degrees out this morning . The car started ok and I let it warm up about 10 minutes before taking off. Almost immediately I started hearing an unusual noise and started trying to figure out where it was coming from , I then say that the speedo was flopping around and then it dropped to 0 and stopped working . It is still making a little noise . I guess the cold weather cause this ,but does anyone know what has broken ? The cable or the speedometer ? Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lalessi1

I am almost certain you have a broken cable.
Lynn

BP57CUSTOM

The fact that it is still making a noise at the speedo makes me think the cable isn't broken , but may be stripped out where it fits into the the speedometer head? Or the head may have froze up.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lalessi1

If the cable broke close to the speedometer I could imagine you might still hear a noise. My speedometer swings at low speeds because I think the new cable/housing was slightly kinked in shipping when I put it in. A swinging speedo to me means the cable "winds up" and lets go that is what makes me thinks the cable failed.
Lynn

hiball3985

I would think cable also. One of those things that gets over looked for maintenance by most people..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

Thanks , I'll order a new cable and when it arrives I'll check out the speedo and lube and clean it, maybe all will be well then!
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

Have you disconnected the cable housing from the speedo head and pulled the old inner cable to check? If that is the problem and you replace it I would recommend using graphite lube.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

For me it is easiest to pull the speedo gear connection off the transmission and pull the gear clip, gear, and the cable out from that end.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-10 14:47
For me it is easiest to pull the speedo gear connection off the transmission and pull the gear clip, gear, and the cable out from that end.
??? It shouldn't come out from the bottom unless it is broke and then you'll only get a piece.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

The weather warmed up a little so I decided to go out to the garage and work on it a little. Had to remove the left side cowl vent to get to the back of the speedometer ,not much trouble. I took the cable loose from the speedometer ,everything looked ok. I lubed the cable and the connecting point to the speedometer head with WD40 (didn't have any graphite) put everything back together and went for a ride , it worked. At least for now , I'll probably need to re-do and lube the cable better when I have more time.
Thanks Again
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2015-01-10 16:28
The weather warmed up a little so I decided to go out to the garage and work on it a little. Had to remove the left side cowl vent to get to the back of the speedometer ,not much trouble. I took the cable loose from the speedometer ,everything looked ok. I lubed the cable and the connecting point to the speedometer head with WD40 (didn't have any graphite) put everything back together and went for a ride , it worked. At least for now , I'll probably need to re-do and lube the cable better when I have more time.
Thanks Again
Sometimes we get lucky  :001: Good for you..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang