News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Moving Radiator Forward

Started by JimNolan, 2015-01-18 12:31

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'll throw my 2 cents in also. I would remove that horn that looks like it's in the opening, Thats just more restriction and may cause turbulence that screws up air flow in other areas around it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

boy! this sure is easier in a shoebox (49-51) Ford, 6 cyl radiator mounts in front of core support and is more than adequate for a sbf cooling. and on those the upper tank is sloped for hood clearance.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

LAUDY57

Good comments, thanks, I never thought about the horn and cooling! I think I've worn out that horn anyway, need to take it apart again.
Rich, no, only thing I know is what I find out as I take it apart piece by piece, writing it down as I go. I had hoped to pull the engine and see what's in there and to fix oil leaks, maybe that will happen - life just seems to get in the way, but I've 6 mon to go before a Father's Day run I want to go to so I need to scrape up some cash for the cooling, know how that goes? At least I can change the ugly PS pump and it's support now, I've fiddled the front end so that to take it off I just pull 4 pins and 3 elect plugs -it that easier when stuff is sitting right in your face!
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

It sure is...I'm trying to get everything done befor I put on the fenders...I may even take it for a ride before I get sheetmetal put on.
Lorne, does your car have Ron Francis wiring by any chance? If it does, you may be able to get an owner or builder's name. All Ron Francis harnesses are built to order with a serial number.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

LAUDY57

Yes it does have Francis wiring, that's interesting - I'll try that! Thanks.

SkylinerRon

Mounting a radiator with that tilt front is kinda like building a ship in a bottle.
Think you might build a cardboard box for a dummy radiator that fits then size
a radiator and mount to that.
Goodluck,
Ron.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2015-01-21 18:57
Yes it does have Francis wiring, that's interesting - I'll try that! Thanks.
AWESOME!   Heck, just call me Sherlock! lol. The serial number should be on the panel somewhere. Maybe if they won't give you a name, they might at least give a town.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

LAUDY57

Good ideas! Wouldn't you know, just when I get all set up to do some work on car stuff, a bath tub vent in the house is screwed up. Using a remote camera to find where to get at the covered up drain trap. Ge-e-e-z!
I am going to contact R Francis!

JimNolan

Well, I finally got the radiator shifted forward. Here's what I encountered doing it. The opening for the radiator had to be shaved on the side's 1/4" for the radiator to fit through the opening. The radiator was raised 5/8" (including 1/16" rubber edge trim that rests on core frame edge at bottom for bottom of radiator to sit on). You can only use 3/4" square tubing to fit for side spacers. I ended up going 1/ 1/2" forward with the radiator using 2 pcs. of 3/4" square tubing on each side. Everything went OK but I am very hesitant to say everything will be OK. Radiator core to clutch housing is 1". Radiator core to fan blade is 1 5/8". Personally I don't see cooling any radiator with a fan blade 1 5/8" from the core. My old setup was 1/2" from the core to fan blade. I am thinking seriously about removing one of the 3/4" aluminum tube and setting the radiator forward 3/4" instead of 1 1/2". But, if I do that the clutch face will be 1/4" away from the core. But the fan blade will be 7/8" away from the core. That's more reasonable.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.