News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Top Loader 4 speed and bench seat

Started by akronterr, 2015-01-31 19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

akronterr

Hi Guys, First of all I want to thank you for all the helpful info I get off this site. My 57 I bought came with a 351C and top loader and bucket seats. I wanted the bench seat. Well my trans was from a 65 mustang with the shifter mounted at the rear of the tailshaft.(Hurst comp.Plus) As you know it didn't work with my bench seat. After checking the info on  the site it looked like I should use a 14 inch Galaxy tail shaft. Well I couldn't find one. So this was my solution. I cut my shifter off 1&1/4 inch above the floor. Ordered a Hurst shifter from Summit for a 57 Chevy bench seat. Cut 2 inches off the bottom and welded it to my Hurst. It worked out perfect. I can put my seat all the way front and no with no problem and it looks good. I thought this might help someone else. I wish I could post pictures but mine are allways too large. I don't know how to make them smaller. Thanks Again for all your Help. Terry

RICH MUISE

Good info...we need pics!!
resizing: Go to your pic that you want to post and right click on it. a menu will open..one of the choices being "open with"..hover your mouse over that and a list will pop up. select "paint".
When the photo opens up in paint, select "image" from the top. when that drops down, select resize/skew. The top box should already be highlighted and have 100% in the box. what to type in depends on your average pixel count...I usually type in 25 or 30. tab to the next box and do the same, and hit enter.
If you want to permanently save the pic as that size, click on "save" when you close the window and the pop up window asks if you want to save changes. If you want to keep the original pixel size'd picture, then select "save as", and you will have both sized pics available. That's really important on a special picture that you want to zoom in on/enlarge.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lucky'57

Google is your friend buddy. Just ask it a question, "how to minimize my picture" it's easy.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

akronterr

Trying for a test picture

akronterr

Adding Pictures

lalessi1

Hey akronterr

I have been looking for an ideal solution for the problem. I too have a Mustang toploader but my tailshaft is a C6OR-7A040-C, see http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm . I am using a Fairlane shifter (fixed handle) and it is in the car now and works with the bench seat (I am using a Ford mounting plate). I am not happy with it because the tunnel hole size is odd and the boot won't center on the shifter. The boot keeps cracking. I did find and just bought a 3915405 shifter;
https://hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=297&idcategory=50

Notice in the description it says "CAN ALSO be used in CUSTOM Ford / Mercury installations that would normally use 3913180 with NON Removable Handle, allowing use of a custom application BOLT ON Handle / stick."

I also have a Galaxie Hurst shifter, several adapters, and the reverse rod that goes with it. To use it I would have to change the tailshaft housing to use it and may wind up doing that. The 25 1/2" tailshaft seems the perfect choice with my car.... they are rare.
Lynn

akronterr

Nice to see others are finding ways to make this work. I was trying to do this as cheaply as I could. I hated to cut my Compitition Plus since it was fairly new. Mine  was the welded on handle type. My tailshaft was the C4dr-7a040-a. Which is 14inch long. The shifter I bought was #HUU-5388620 from Summit. I really like the feel of the Hurst.

JPotter57

Thats cool...I had a Hurst stick for a 61 Impala on mine..nice work.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

lalessi1

Whoops, I wasn't clear...My tailshaft housing is also 14" it  just has a different shifter mounting location than yours. I have the same Hurst shifter (for a Fairlane/ Mustang) that you have...and the mounting plate I used is a factory piece for a Hurst Comp Plus. I am trying to  sort out all the Hurst shifters, mounting plate/tail shafts housing combinations because I would rather not fabricate a solution if I don't have too. Hopefully all this helps those looking to do this in the future... :003:
Lynn

suede57ford

The best fitting and shaped handle for most '57's with a bench seat and 5peed Tremec, Tremc TKO/ and short toplader is Hurst Part # 7236.   This is just the chrome stick and is available new from Hurst. I think summit stocks them.  Very good fit for off the shelf handle.

When I switched from a toploader to a tremec, the shifter came out in the nearly the same place.   No issues with bench seats.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429