News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Moving the radiator forward.

Started by JimNolan, 2015-02-05 10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

I completed my radiator move and have the hood back on the car. I ended up moving it forward 1" leaving me with 7/16" clearance between the Jaguar clutch fan and the radiator. The new holes I drilled into the Aluminum radiator for mounting was moved down 5/8". So, that means the radiator was raised 5/8". I used a piece of rubber trim on top of the radiator core support to keep 1/16" clearance between the bottom of the radiator and metal core support. That also served to ease the installation by not having to hold the radiator suspended while I tried to do measurements and installation. The same radiator hoses fit good so I didn't add new hoses.
Now the important information. Using play-doe I was able to measure the distance from the hood to the radiator cap with the hood closed. 1/16". That's not very much. Since the thickness of my radiator is 3" there's no way that I could have went farther than 1" forward without cutting the lip of the core support off at the bottom. Thank goodness I had a new fan belt because changing it will mean loosening the radiator for more clearance. Remember that this information pertains only to the Griffin aluminum radiator that I use. It's the radiator that Griffin makes for a 57 Fairlane/direct fit with FE engine/without automatic transmission/two row. I can get you the model no. if you need it. Jim PS. Remember also that the aluminum square tubing has to be 3/4" to make the spacer out of. Aluminum 3/4" wide X 1/8" thick flat stock can me used to make up the extra 1/4" needed.
Summary: I should have left it alone, because I don't know yet if I'll have heating problems with the fan blade being further from the radiator.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.