News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New dash gauge problems

Started by quickas01, 2015-02-16 22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

quickas01

I have Auto meter gauges for my 57 Fairlane custom dash set up. Can I run the stock sending unit in the fuel tank or will I have to use the one that came with the new fuel gauge (different fitting) or get a gauge to match the fuel tank. The tank is a repo with stainless sender.

canadian_ranchero

you need to check if the resister[sending unit]has the same readings,it needs to match your gauge

RICH MUISE

If the one in the tank already doesn't match the ohms range your gage, and you need to use the one supplied with your gage, you may need to modify the new one to fit in the tank. The '57 tanks have a locking ring with slopped tabs that tighten down against the mounting plate of the sender. Many of the aftermarket senders have a 5 hole screw down mounting method. I had to disect my oem sender to remove the mounting plate from the assembly and use it with the guts of the new sender.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

s'more info....the Autometer's used a 240-33 sending unit for the gage, the oem Ford used 73-10 (up to 1986), so, yes, you will need to install the new matching sending unit. I can post pics of what I did to facilitate the install if you need them. I used a tanks inc sending unit, btw, which lent itself well to the modification because the lower working components were bolted to the mounting plate unlike the oem's which are spotwelded together.

quickas01

I spoke with a auto meter Tech today. If I send the gauge in they can modify it to suit the sender. Sounds like a easy option.

RICH MUISE

Before you do that, are you sure your sender is working? You may need to replace it anyway. Have you at least had it out an looked at?

quickas01

The sender and tank is a new replacement that I installed some time back. still working on the vehicle. No fuel in the tank at this time