News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheel Offset ??

Started by kens65fb, 2015-03-19 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

How much wheel offset do I need?
I know that this question has been asked before, but after reading previous posts on this question,  it seems a definite answer is never given, as the post quickly goes off topic.
I would like to run 17 X 7  with a 4.25" offset wheels in the front, and  18 X 8 with a 4.50" offset in the rear, is this possible?
The front end is stock, the rear lip has been shaved about 1/2 inch.
Before I spend $1500 on wheels and tires, I would like some input.
Thanks in advance.

lalessi1

Ok, well here we go. I am assuming that you are talking about back spacing and not offset. They are two different things completely. I have 4.25" back spacing front and rear with 15 X 7 wheels. Both have adequate clearance with the the rears close to the outside while the fronts are close to the inside. IMHO: You are good on the front unless you have an aftermarket swaybar. The rear would be tighter than mine with an 8" wheel, I would prefer to see 4.75"-5" to on the rear, you are on the edge depending on tire size. The rear fender edge tapers to the rear in the back and 17 low profile tires are more square.
Lynn

65kcode

Ken,
I have put 17x8 wheels w/ 4.75" back spacing with no problem running 245/45/17 tires. These came off my 65 mustang. This leaves plenty of extra room around it. Could go to 5" or a bit more if you're really trying to stuff the biggest tire possible. A 4.25" should work with the 7" wide rim just fine.

Kevin