News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Alignment info from Oregon members

Started by BBoswell, 2015-03-15 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

BBoswell

There is a lot of truth to shops not wanting to spend the time or effort, but there is also the fact that the old timers are retiring and there is a whole new crop of folks running the electronic alignment equipment that are too young to know how to do an old school alignment . . . or any alignment without the electronic assist. I've found one shop that can do it but they won't vary the factory specs at all and since the suspension is much must lower than stock and the stance is entirely different the stock specs don't always work. We are going to do it ourselves with chalk, string and a plumb bob. It ain't brain surgery and the results certainly can't be any worse than what it is now. Thanks for all the responses to my original post.

Ecode70D

Quote from: BBoswell on 2015-04-27 01:22
There is a lot of truth to shops not wanting to spend the time or effort, but there is also the fact that the old timers are retiring and there is a whole new crop of folks running the electronic alignment equipment that are too young to know how to do an old school alignment . . . or any alignment without the electronic assist. I've found one shop that can do it but they won't vary the factory specs at all and since the suspension is much must lower than stock and the stance is entirely different the stock specs don't always work. We are going to do it ourselves with chalk, string and a plumb bob. It ain't brain surgery and the results certainly can't be any worse than what it is now. Thanks for all the responses to my original post.

Yes...And when you do it "yourself", you will be able to rest assured that it is correct and you will not have screwed up settings like they did on Jim's car.  Jay   

canadian_ranchero

i picked up a alignment set up off e bay and found a old snap-on toe setting tool from the 50's.now i do my own