News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I'm pulling my engine.

Started by JimNolan, 2015-08-19 04:56

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    I'm getting ready to pull the FE 410 out of my car and I would like some advice. I've never taken the engine and transmission out at the same time. This is a manual transmission car. My question is this: Have any of you pulled an FE engine out of a 57 Ford and left the transmission attached. If so, did you have to take the water pump and crank pulley off first. There's so little room but if I could jerk it all together that would save a lot of wear and tear on my body. Thanks guys, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

I am pulling my 390 today but the radiator and radiator support are out. I pulled a 302/AOD out with the transmission connected, no problem, I don't see any reason you won't be able to the same with an FE. You will need to remove the transmission cross member, the hood, the radiator and the fan. I did have the use of a lift though. This time I am leaving the bellhousing and the toploader in the car. I sold the 390 and it is quicker to leave the transmission in the car for now. 
Lynn

rmk57

I always have the whole front end off the car to avoid any accidents that could potentially happen when hoisting out a 700 lbs. engine. I don't think I have the ceiling height in my garage to remove the engine/trans with the front end on anyway, but I've never tried.

With the front end off the car its pretty easy. I did it by myself and that was a 460/ c-6 combo which is bigger and heavier than a FE.

I used a borrowed cherry picker btw.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

dgasman

Raise the rear of the car as high as you can when your ready to remove . The unit will almost come straight out
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

lalessi1

dgasman, that is a very interesting approach. I have never seen that done before, but it makes sense.
Lynn

Zapato

pulled one out one of those mid 70s high boy f100s, we pulled the 390/c6 by sending it down up front by pulling wheels/tires up front. That took care of limited lift on the cherry picker and ceiling clearance. In the old days used to lift those kind of loads by making the hitch front heavy and having my wife sit on the cowl and as it came forward she would use her feet to push down on the tranny till we cleared the firewall.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Quote from: dgasman on 2015-08-19 10:52
Raise the rear of the car as high as you can when your ready to remove . The unit will almost come straight out
That is a marvel idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm going to try that. Thanks for that input. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.