'57 9 inch Rear Ends Small Bearing vs. Big Bearing Axles ?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-09-21 06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I measured my oem 57 axle spline and side gear lengths.

1.50 axle spline

1.125 side gear spline

Looking at the axles it looks like all the spline was engaged but the last 1/4-3/8".
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

John...Everything I was told would confirm what hoosier and rmk57 are saying. Just my 2cents, and I've never had one apart so I don't know from experience.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Now and again on ebay they have axles on there with about 6"-8" of extra spline, not sure of the cost. Not sure but I think Yukon gear sells axles with extra spline also.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-09-22 19:17
John...Everything I was told would confirm what hoosier and rmk57 are saying. Just my 2cents, and I've never had one apart so I don't know from experience.
Rich........I've never had one apart either, so all of my information, be it good or bad , is all second or third hand. One thing is certain, IF you ask it here on this Forum, you'll get an answer to your question.
Thanks to all that replied,
John

RICH MUISE

RICH MUISE

Good question...I've been trying to figure that out myself. I was guessing that the big bearing/brake cars (wagons, ranchero's etc)  had the bigger dia. 31 spline axels as the reason for the bigger bearings. But that is just a guess. Or..it could be trac-loc that has the larger of the two shaft sizes/spline counts

gasman826

I strongly encourage selling the '57 housing to pay for the narrowing of a more common beefier housing.

28 spline axles have a smaller diameter except where the splines are located...usually can NOT re-spline because there is no material.  So some 28 spline axles have more spline than others...luck of the draw. 

31 spline axles have a larger diameter than the splined area...therefore, can typically be re-splined...hence stronger...one does not have to count the splines...just look at them...31 splined axles did not appear until the early '60s ('62 or '63)...I have a 31 spline Detroit Locker that came out of a '64 Galaxie light weight

I understand the narrowing of the rear end 3/4" per side for disc brakes.  Some disc brake kits require 2-1/4 to 2-1/2" between the housing flange and the face of the axle flange to support getting your fingers in to install the axle flange nuts but also support the space needed for the drum type parking brake.  Many late model 9" rears supported 2.36" spacing which falls within the necessary spec.  Since the Explorer style (SVO) disc brake caliper support bolts directly on the housing and is a 1/4" thick, a 1/4" thick spacer is installed between the axle bearing and the axle bearing shoulder.  This makes the axle bearing bottom in the axle housing and maintains the housing flange to axle flange face measurement.  Unfortunately,  early 9" housings did NOT have 2-1/4 to 2-1/2" to begin with.  A call or website visit to Strange, Mosier, Currie, or many others would explain this better and in greater length.  So....saving the 28 spline OEM axles might not be practical.  The wheels, tires, and disc brake kit need to be selected and then cut the rear to satisfy all the custom components.

Sooo...if the rear is narrowed 3/4", the SVO disc brake caliper support adds 1/4" and the rotor adds and 1/8-1/4" so the tire has moved only 1/4-3/8" closer to the frame on both sides.  The axle will only need to be 1/2" shorter per side.

Since housing narrowing is expensive, I would lean toward narrowing a little too much than not enough.  Wheel spacers are cheap!!!!!!!!!!

I have narrowed 9" housings.  I have the jig to setup and weld ends on.  I like the Explorer/SVO conversion kit.  The next housing I do will be a later model 9" housing from pickup or van.  Less rust, easier to find, and strong.  I will use Early Big Bearing housing ends (not Late Big Bearing ends).  Early Big Bearings and seals are cheaper and much less leak prone.

rmk57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-09-23 16:11
Good question...I've been trying to figure that out myself. I was guessing that the big bearing/brake cars (wagons, ranchero's etc)  had the bigger dia. 31 spline axels as the reason for the bigger bearings. But that is just a guess. Or..it could be trac-loc that has the larger of the two shaft sizes/spline counts

Pretty sure all 57 cars had 28 spline axles, not sure about the pickups.

Yes there are small bearing (2.83) housings with 31 spline axles.
Cobra-jet and Boss Mustangs came with them.
I have that setup in my 57, small bearing with 31 spline axles.
Yukon sells that specialty bearing if you go that route.

Randy

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

All 57's had 28 splines.
31 splines came out in 64 (some factory racers had them in 63).
The 31 spline small bearing set-up isn't recommended for heavy cars.
Truck and van housings are much stronger than 57-59's
Equi-loks came out in 59, Trac-loks in late 60's.

Ron.