News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What has happened to E-Bay?

Started by 57 imposter, 2015-11-05 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

If I remember correctly, A model of our cars had stationary quarter windows. I remember seeing on E-Bay brackets that, I think, mounted the window in the frame premantely.  I went on E-Bay yesterday, searched  57 and 58 parts and was surprised to find the entire listing was nothing but universal seat covers, LED lights and misc. crap that wouldn't fix anything on a car. I'll bet there weren't 10 actual parts for a 57 or 58 car. Anyway, am I correct about the window mounting brackets? Can I still buy them? Does anybody have a set they aren't going to use? 

hiball3985

I just checked EBay and everything looks normal to me..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

eBay looks good to me as well.... Go to 1957Ford.com, "for sale".

"FOR SALE" 1957/1958 FORD, Convert your roll up 70A, 70B quarter windows to Stationary 70D Fixed Glass. A much smoother look and stop the leaks.  AWESOME LOOK....? Completely correct in every detail and made out of ?STAINLESS STEEL?....... A Correct Part, Support Brackets, Attaching Stainless Screws, Glass Drawings.....  $65.50 a set plus $10.50 S & H..... Contact John at gambill@1957ford.com  Thanks to Burton Antique Auto Parts.  Made in USA
NOTE:
Dennis Carpenter has the Rubber Seal Kits # B7A-7029904-PR , $50.00 Plus S & H.  If using the original glass 1/4" (.025) thickness you will need to use glass tape around the edge of the glass, to make the glass wider on the edges.  The groove in the rubber seal is cut to wide.
Lynn

jvo

I use ebay a lot as well, and it really annoys me to find all the multiple listings from the same company that absolutely flood listings with "fits 57 ford" stuff.  Like you say, pages and pages of seat covers and led lights and floor mats, etc.  I sent a msg a few days back to a vendor telling them I wouldn't buy anything from them if they were the last place on earth to buy from.  They had pages of led stop lights, while I was trying to wade through some stuff trying to find something. 
I think you have to do a fairly specific search.  Not sure though. 
But the auto parts listings with the "fits 57 ford" stuff really annoys me. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

57 imposter

Quote from: jvo on 2015-11-05 13:17
I use ebay a lot as well, and it really annoys me to find all the multiple listings from the same company that absolutely flood listings with "fits 57 ford" stuff.  Like you say, pages and pages of seat covers and led lights and floor mats, etc.  I sent a msg a few days back to a vendor telling them I wouldn't buy anything from them if they were the last place on earth to buy from.  They had pages of led stop lights, while I was trying to wade through some stuff trying to find something. 
I think you have to do a fairly specific search.  Not sure though. 
But the auto parts listings with the "fits 57 ford" stuff really annoys me.
exactly my experience with them. I search for 57 and 58 parts and get tons of crap to wade thru because they put "fits 58 Ford" at the end of the description. very annoying.. And it didn't used to be that way. I could do the same search and get pages of nothing but specific 57, 58 parts. Ill check out the kit lalessi1 listed but if it takes special glass I will just figure out a bracket to hold everything in place.

hiball3985

Yes it does get bad at times with the commercial vendors crap. And a 1938 cast iron waffle iron "fits 57 Ford" crap. :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

I find it helps to filter out the crap if you filter the results to show "auctions" only as a lot of the garbage is under "buy it now".
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 imposter

I sent a message off to John, Hopefully he will have the needed info. My main concern is the size of the glass. I already have glass cut for the roll up quarter window and hopefully, the fixed glass will be smaller so I can just have my glass trimmed. The reason for all this is the window run channel I was so proud of myself for finding is about 1/16" too deep so the chrome bead does not right against the o/s window frame. It's possible that no one would notice or think anything about it if they did, but it's all i can see so I have to do something different. Don't know why,but the channel seems to be better on the door.

gasman826

The glass is smaller.  Yours will have to be cut.  Template comes with brackets.

RICH MUISE

Woah, Doug....If your side glass is a supplier kit, then odds are it's tempered and not laminated...and you know that means it can't be trimmed. Although I had new (tempered) glass, after I decided to go with the statioary winows I had to have my local glass company cut me two new ones that they had to send out of town for tempering.
The stationary glass is quite abit smaller in height, so the problem is the seal won't fit the standard window glass...it's not just a matter of a different bracket
Before you do anything though, you may want to get the seal from Carpenter. They make the glass channel in that seal too big for the normal 1/4 glass and it's a imposible nightmare trying to get it to set right. The best thing to do, if your glass is clear, is have the glass made from 5/16. I couldn't because my windows are gray tint, and my glass guy didn't have a matching shade available in 5/16.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

My glass was cut by a local shop so I would think if they cut it once, they should be able to trim it. As far as glass thickness, it has been suggested to use setting tape on the glass edge. with a little sealer and trimming, I can see that working. while I'm waiting to hear from John, I think I'll try putting the thing together with the run channel I have and see how it looks. I have plywood window blank made. so i can't hardly hurt anything by trying. If I can get them to look acceptable, making some brackets to hold the window in place shouldn't be too hard.. It's always somthin!!!

RICH MUISE

Doug, just to add...my memory is a little fuzzy on what glass thickness would be better. I said 5/16, but posibly it's 3/8. That's why I suggested getting the seal first. Also, that seal is very difficult to install fitting the way it should, imo. Mine drives me nuts. I finally gave up on it, left it as is and added it to my "do -it-after-the car-is-completed" list.
At one point, I had some conversation with John Gambil about the template for the glass he supplied. I thought the corner radiusses were too big and they needed to be smaller to push the seal into the corners a bit more. He agreed and was going to change the template...I don't know if he ever did.
When I redo my glass, I will search for tinted glass to match in the thicker size, and have the glass cut with smaller radiusses. I think that will go along way to getting the seal to fit the body better.
I mention all this, because if the 1/16 gap you have on the channel is bugging you too much, the stationary window will give you fits without alot of trial and error. JMHO

RICH MUISE

The bracket...the glass is mainly held in place by the seal, backed up by the garinsh moulding. All the bracket does is add a little bottom support.
Doug...pm sent

57 imposter

I can relate to what you are saying about gasket fit. I bought fixed quarter window gaskets from Carpenter for my 50 coupe. I had to cut the seal and remove some material and glue it back together to get it to fit the window frame.

57 imposter

Got both quarter windows in and they don't look good and I am sure they are not going to seal well at the rear. Going to go with the fixed windows. and will just have to figure out the issues. Two days of messing with them is enough for me.