News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Disk Brake

Started by oldgasser, 2016-02-15 20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Has anyone ran into the problem of the calliper hitting the rim on their 14 inch original rims. My conversion kit was from Auto City Classic has anyone found the solution to this problem?
I could use some direction please.
Thank you for your time.
Oldgasser. ( Ron)

rmk57

Pretty sure you have to use a disc brake rim, like a Granada, Maverick, Mustang.........

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Wirenut

You'll need to go to a 15" wheel or experiment with Granada or other ford rims. I had the same issue and went to a 15" wheel.

RICH MUISE

That's not a problem unique to the Auto City Classic kits...pretty much true for all the disc brake kits. I was going with 15's anyway, so didn't matter to me. The rear kit I just installed used 88 T-Bird calipers, and the advertisement for it said "fits some 14" wheels...so I checked an oem 14 '57 wheel just to see, and it did not fit.
If your looking to stay with the 14" size, wheels will be hard to find. You'll need them off a car that had 14" wheels and disc brakes as OEM. Also, you'll need the 5 on 4 1/2 lug pattern, which will eliminate many of the prospects(like most Mustangs, I believe).
If you need something to roll it around on while your getting it sorted out...the easiest way is to grab some donuts from a Lincoln Towncar. I found some unused ones still in the trunks of the cars at the u-pull-it yard for 5$ each.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Ford Granada or Mercury Monarch has the 14" wheels you need.

rmk57

Granada, Mavarick, Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, Cougar, Montego, ......should be lots out there.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

clusterbuster

The 1980 Granada 14 inch rims fit my front disk brake conversion, but would not fit the rear disc conversion. Had to go with a 15x8 rim on the rear.