News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Clutch Recommendations

Started by lalessi1, 2015-10-31 08:49

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Well the 462 FE is in the car. I was gonna put things back together the way they were with the 390 to allow me to drive the car to "test the engine" but I ran into a problem....the clutch linkage won't come close to clearing the headers. My best option I think is to go to with hydraulic clutch actuation. This means ditching the 3 finger stock clutch (which won't handle the 550 ft-lbs of torque anyway) and starting over. I am thinking Centerforce or Mcleod "dual friction" clutch, Mcleod or Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing, and a Wilwood master either with a Mcleod kit for a Mustang or "from scratch". Opinions would be greatly appreciated...
Lynn

gasman826

I have McLeod Street Twin with McLeod hydraulic throw-out and Wilwood 3/4" master cylinder.  I have about 8k miles on it and love it.  Smooth, quiet and no pedal effort.  The standard, organic disc Street Twin rating exceeds 600hp and they can change the disc compounds to exceed 1200hp.  Street Twin is set with 2 discs, intermediate plate, pressure plate, pressure plate bolts, and flywheel.  When I got mine, there were two throw-out bearings...a universal and custom.  The universal fits over your transmission's existing throw-out extension housing and is self adjusting.  The custom on comes with its own throw-out extension housing.  The custom requires test fit install and measurement.  If not within spec, return to McLeod and they change the piston to fit your application.  The custom is much more expensive.

So far, no slippage, chatter, or grabbing.

lalessi1

Thanks for the reply... I searched a little on the site and I found where we had a bit of a conversation about this a while back. One issue, I have a "66 cast iron bellhousing I am trying to stay with. I am not positive that what I am considering will even fit yet. I looked at McLeods site and didn't see what I thought you had. I have a slight negative opinion of McLeods' stuff at this point hence the post....
Lynn

gasman826

The FE and 385 motors have little to nothing in common.  But certain clutch/flywheels combos will interchange.  My bell housing is a Lakewood OEM replacement with a TKO600.  Other than the clutch disc spline count, a Toploader would be a 'bolt-in'.

gasman826

Mounting of the clutch master cylinder will require some engineering.  Locating the master is an issue unique to your application.  The master and your brake system may require the same real estate.  Also, the firewall in the potential master location will likely be single strength.  Some reinforcement will need to be fabricated.  The master angle is very important so the travel of the master rod is straight in and out through the full swing of the clutch pedal.  The clutch pedal attachment point will be modified.  Calculate the 6:1 or 7:1 ratio so the master cycles top to bottom without bottoming out the master.  Formulas and instructions are available on several websites.  A lot of work but well worth it.  All my future projects will have hydraulic systems.

I'll have to get pictures of the pedal installed with the modifications.

lalessi1

I am planninig at this point trying to adapt this McLeod kit. It looks to me like it is very close to working as is.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics/hydraulic-conversion-kit/1964-1966-mustang-hydraulic-clutch-linkage-conversion-kit.html
Lynn

gasman826

That's a newer kit and I think it would save a lot of fab and engineering.  When I first saw it, I thought it might resolve issues with interference with a brake booster.  I moved the clutch master to the left to clear the brake booster but that also required a clutch pedal spacer.

lalessi1

Thanks for those pictures...worth a thousand words. I will try the other kit and report back to the forum, a hydraulic clutch arrangement solves a lot of problems....header clearance, Borgeson box clearance, noisy intrusive mechanical linkage, engine swaps, etc. If the kit goes in without too many mods it could help a lot of guys here.
Lynn

59meteor

Quote from: gasman826 on 2015-11-01 10:09
The FE and 385 motors have little to nothing in common.  But certain clutch/flywheels combos will interchange.  My bell housing is a Lakewood OEM replacement with a TKO600.  Other than the clutch disc spline count, a Toploader would be a 'bolt-in'.
Thats an interesting looking bellhousing. It looks to be a FE scattershield welded to a plate with a 429-460 bellhousing pattern.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

I remember thinking that the first time I saw it.  It was made that way.  There are bolts that go in those holes.

lalessi1

Well I bought the Mcleod hydraulic clutch master cylinder kit for a 64-65 Mustang and I just finished the install. The kit is almost a complete bolt in installation. I had to drill a hole in the clutch pedal and shorten the rod to the cylinder by about 1/2". Now I don't have the throwout bearing or the clutch in the car yet but if you are looking for a simple install this is a no brainer. I have a little more than 3/4' master cylinder travel and around 6:1 ratio on pedal travel. 
Lynn