News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Got a question about a couple of holes in the frame

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-02-26 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

On my Ranchero frame, on the passenger side, there are two  1 /2 " hex shaped holes on the bottom of the frame. First one is approximately 9 inches behind the coil spring pocket, the second on is approximately 12 1/2 " behind the spring pocket. What purpose do they serve? I want to weld them up. Problem?
Thanks
John

Ray

Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

KYBlueOval

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2016-02-26 07:31
On my Ranchero frame, on the passenger side, there are two  1 /2 " hex shaped holes on the bottom of the frame. First one is approximately 9 inches behind the coil spring pocket, the second on is approximately 12 1/2 " behind the spring pocket. What purpose do they serve? I want to weld them up. Problem?
Thanks
John

As long as I'm asking.........what about the holes in the coil spring pocket that face the engine on each side? There are 4 holes three of which are between  1/4 " and 5/16" in size and one that is approximately 5/8". Same questions, what purpose do they serve, and can I weld them up?

hiball3985

Mine has the holes and I'm sure most do. Sometimes these extra holes where used in the manufacturing for location. I'm guessing the frame may have located on a jig with pins and these holes located the the frame in position for drilling the holes for the idler arm.. How's that for a wild ass guess?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ray on 2016-02-26 08:51
If I remember correctly, clutch stand.

Ray , I'm not saying you are incorrect, as I don't know what they are for, but they are on the passenger side. There are not corresponding holes on the driver's side

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-02-26 09:30
Mine has the holes and I'm sure most do. Sometimes these extra holes where used in the manufacturing for location. I'm guessing the frame may have located on a jig with pins and these holes located the the frame in position for drilling the holes for the idler arm.. How's that for a wild ass guess?
[/quote
Jim.........your answer is better than mine as I don't know what they are for. I thought they could be as you described, but I know there are people here on the Forum a whole lot smarter than me when it comes to '57 Fords....so I ask. The fact they are hex holes and only on the passenger side puzzled me.
Now, what about the holes in the coil spring pockets that face the engine. Do they serve a purpose or can I weld them up?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

The problem is a lot of the manufacturing process isn't documented or available any longer so many of these holes are just a guess. I don't recall the holes in the spring pocket used for anything but can't be 100% sure. I personally avoid welding on anything that doesn't really require it.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the exact holes you mention in the spring tower, can you post a picture?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dgasman

They are for the power steering idler arm bracket
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

hiball3985

Quote from: dgasman on 2016-02-26 10:58
They are for the power steering idler arm bracket
You are correct, I found a picture in the shop manual. never owned one with PS.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ray

Yah, I was wrong on that one. I've been away to long. Power steering bracket is absolutely correct. I should know, I've installed those crush nuts in the past.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

KYBlueOval

Thanks to all. I'm hoping to locate a '57 locally that I can look at and determine what I can weld up. Thanks for the info on the P/S idler arm bracket. When I bought this car the essential parts of the steering were long gone, and I've replaced it with a R/P, so I wasn't familiar with what was there originally.
Thanks again