News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Washer Fluid

Started by oldgasser, 2016-03-01 18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Question of the day:
Does anyone know the color of windshield washer fluid in the 50's?
Has it always been blue?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers Ron.

Lucky'57

Well, I would think the fellas that actually have seen the stuff are in their 70's now so it might be tough to remember, I was born in 57 and am starting to have a tough time remembering stuff from yesterday (LOL). Anyway, I did an internet search, looked around for awhile and the best I can come up with is clear. They apparently used an alcohol mix. This isn't a concourse answer by any means so if anyone else can answer the question with experience, I would go with that.  :burnout:
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

lalessi1

"Back in the day", I thought it was just water (like the radiator stuff).... Blew my mind when I saw it for sale in bottles years later, but we don't need "anti-freeze" so much here. :003:
Lynn

57redwhitered

I just used water in my '56 that I bought in 62.  Just emptied the bag in the winter. 
1957 Skyliner

Hoosier Hurricane

When I entered the auto repair business in '62 it was blue.  Don't remember it in '56 when I started driving, didn't have washers on my car.
John

BP57CUSTOM

Country boys in Georgia used moonshine if they needed anything stronger than plain water.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Lucky'57

We used to fill our windshield washer reservoirs on our old '48 Willy's with white Rum, had a little T and a valve under the dash, foot pump operted. Come hunting season the Goldang Rangers were always in the bush looking for "Illegal Possession" (you weren't even allowed to carry in the bush, if it was open), there we were all a little "giddy" and they could never find the liquor. They figured it out eventually... Then we got smarter, built a false tank within the gas tank with a petcock, LOL, they never found that one. But yeah, clear seems to be about right for 57, I'd ask Grandpa or the old man but they both hunting somewhere else. :)
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

thomasso

Having been a partsman.  I only remember blue.  However the factory bottle of GM Opticlean was green, over the counter was blue.  Could be wrong as I wasn't a partsman until the 60s.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ecode70D

I got my license in 1956-57 and was around when the 57 Fords were getting delivered to the dealerships in
Boston.   I don't remember seeing colored windshield wiper fluid in those days. We didn't need windshield washers and wiper fluid because we were young and could see good back then.  It wasn't until the early 60's that I started to see the blue stuff being offered for sale and it was in 1 gallon containers.

SkylinerRon

57 Washer bags are red plastic w/metal top and black rubber hose.
Pretty hard to see the fluid thru them  LOL.

Ron.