News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auxillary Hood Release Cable

Started by kens65fb, 2016-04-06 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

I have shaved door handles on my 57 Ranchero, and I'm concerned about the battery going dead, and not being able to get in.
If the battery goes dead, I cant even open the door, to release the hood, to jump or charge the bastrtery.
Anybody install an auxillary hood release cable in their 57 ??
My brother had a 50 Studebaker, and he had an auxillary cable coming out the inner fender above the drivers side wheel, and it worked well.
I just cant remember how he connected to the hood release on the firewall.
Any help ??
Thanks

gasman826

I had considered shaved door handles so I did some research.  I found a shaved door setup I liked.  This one didn't even have electric poppers.  It had bicycle shift cables run from the door latches out through the 'A' pillar and hidden up in the inner fender.  The owner just reached above the tire and pulled on the hidden cable end.  Doors opened...dead battery or not.

ragtop

just put a + battery terminal in the inner fender so you can jump it if it has a dead batt. you can get them at jegs I have put in all the cars I shave the handles from

Zapato

Quote from: ragtop on 2016-04-06 19:06
just put a + battery terminal in the inner fender so you can jump it if it has a dead batt. you can get them at jegs I have put in all the cars I shave the handles from

Wish I had been this clever back in high school. Did the no handles or lock on door thing and woke up one morning with a totally dead battery and cold heavy rain falling. Crawled under car and booked up a small battery charger (1amp all I had) at the starter lug. Changed into dry clothes and headed off to the bus stop. After that rigged up a choke cable in the wheel well.love the bicycle brake cable idea.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

ragtop

also if you take the button spring from vent window you can get in with a credit card the latch just don't lock most wood never know