News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

speedo cable

Started by jerry malies, 2016-05-21 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry malies

Just joined and this is my first post, hope it gets in.  I have a 57 ranchero driver.  It has a 77 390ci with 3 speed. I bought it this way so don't know much about it.   Speedometer doesn't work and I assume it was never hooked up when they put the motor in.  My question is how do I determine what cable will work?

lalessi1

Look and see if the speedo drive out of the tranny is on the right or left side. (I am assuming it is a manual tranny). If it is on the left (driver) side a stock cable will work. If it is on the right you need an 84" cable. I found mine on eBay. I have a 428 with a 4 speed toploader. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Welcome aboard!  Building a Ranchero myself.  NAPA has a speedo cable if you don't have one in the car.  Check to make sure the driven gear (on the end of the cable) has the clip to keep it in place.  If it is not there the first time you back the car it will climb up and disengage the cable.  As said before make sure it is hooked up to the transmission.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II